electricity meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was wondering what happens when our electricity meter reaches figure 99999. It's the old disk type and it is at 929 at the moment.
Does it reset back to zero or "should" the supplier change auotmatically it once it is just under 99999?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Afaict it will roll back arround to zero and the suppliers bill calculation software is smart enough to detect this and calcuate the units used appropriately.

Of course if it is getting close to wrapping arround there is a good chance it is overdue for replacement anyway.

Afaict it will roll back arround to zero and the suppliers bill calculation software is smart enough to detect this and calcuate the units used appropriately.

Not smart enough to work out one of our guys put one in backwards once, customer got a bill for 99,900 units.

:LOL:

how long do REC leave these meters in for?

30 yrs?

Used to be 17 years, then you could claim a % reduction on your bill for the meter being too far out of calibration.

Sponsored Links
Way I heard, when they go out of calibration it is always in the customers interest. I.E. it reads less than is actually used. ??

Different types have different cert lives.

Round here they range from 10yrs to 30yrs.

And yes it will go back to zero and carry on as normal.

I recon the majority I change due to life span have been round twice anyway.

As for putting them in backwards the digital ones I use would read some kind of error code on the display, where as most mechanical ones I use have a simple device which would stop them from going backwards.

As for the calibration it can go either way, but it is very rare for meters to drift out (tho it can happen).

I used to calibrate them before my current position. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back