Steel fire protection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone confirm the fire-proofing requirements for internal structural steelwork?
I think it's 20mm of timber or plasterboard (ie 2 x 12.5mm), or a combination of both, is that right?

Sponsored Links
It depends on how long the protection has to last (1/2 hour or 1 hour) which is governed by the location of the beam ie what it's holding up.

A 12.5mm board and skim will give 1/2 hour

Its holding up a mezzanine floor, and partly the roof. I remember the bco saying one layer of plasterboard wasn't enough so I guess it's 1 hr. I think I might screw ply onto the steel and then p/b over that.

Sponsored Links
If it's domestic and not between properties, 1/2hr is the requirement, achieved per Woodster's spec. The fact the roof sits on it is immaterial, if it was only holding up the roof (and only the roof) it wouldn't need any protection at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back