Vaillant 828e Turbomax

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a number of problems relating to the above boiler and would appreciate any comments as to possible diagnosis and repair.

It was last serviced in April of this year by British Gas and is under their Homecare agreement. Boiler is around 6 to 7 years old. In the past it has had a new Fan and diverter valve fitted.

More recently it has become quite noisy. Hot water and Central Heating are fine but if there is a demand for hot water then there is a loud clonk as I presume the Secondary Heat Exchanger fires up. Pressure gauge is currently showing 0.8bar. I can fill the system up to 1.5 and then in use it will rise up to around 2 but then when central heating turned off it will eventually go back down to around 0.8. BG did comment on the pressure guage at time of inspection that may be some dirt in it as takes a while to respond on filling so do it slowly, i.e. fill, turn off, wait for increase, fill a bit more, etc.

Within the Central Heating loop close to the boiler there is an isolator valve and then a Y filer. On the last inspection by BG the chap also said the filter was dirty, cleaned it out and recommended a power flush which sounded OK but at £800 seemed a little excessive so I said I'd think about it and get back to them. As usual, I did nothing although I did buy a Magnaclean device that is still sat in the box waiting to be fitted.

I noticed yesterday there was a tiny leakage of water from the isolator valve where you turn it on/off (type you turn with a small screwdriver). As a temporary measure, turned it a few times and sealed with a blob of silicone and refilled but still goes back to around 0.8.

I could simply call out BG but wonder if I'm better getting an independent whose pricing may be better that BG. Naively, I though BG would cover all eventualities but reading the small print that seems not to be the case. Possibly, calling back BG with some idea of what is and what isn't required would help.

Appreciate any help/comments as to the best way forward.

Thanks in anticpation.

Sponsored Links
BG are a shower of muppets and clowns with sales targets to meet. They will of course tell you to buy a (ludicrously overpriced) powerflush from them and when that doesn't work say you need a new boiler. My advice would be cancel your BG (aka ****ish gas) contract and get the experts on the case-call Vaillant! 01773 828100. Vaillant carry the parts on the van and are experts not muppets like Bg and they won't sell you crap you don't need. I would recommend you fit the magnaclean though, they are great bits of kit. ;)

dangermouse46

thanks for the reply.

I have used Vaillant in the past for service and they replaced the diverter valve, if memory serve me right, I changed to BG as it seemed to cover the lot, clearly not.

Any suggestions as to the likely fault, in addition would the magnaclean replace the islation valve and Y filter?

you may need a new diverter valve or plate h/exch. A new pcb is also available which moves the dv in 3 steps instead of 1. ;)

Sponsored Links
you may need a new diverter valve or plate h/exch. A new pcb is also available which moves the dv in 3 steps instead of 1. ;)

Are you saying that the centre position is only available on certain later PCBs?

If so then how do you tell which?

Tony

Are you saying that the centre position is only available on certain later PCBs?

If so then how do you tell which?

Tony

old turbomaxplus/pro pcb's went straight from hw to htg and vice versa in one step which can cause a "clunk" on some systems. the easiest way to tell if you have the new type pcb is to adjust the htg or hw dials on the fascia-if the digital display alters (showing what you are adjusting it to) then it is the new pcb. If the display remains constant while adjusting the dials (and therefore the potentiometer on the board they are attached to) then it is the old type pcb. ;)

Do both PCBs permit the centre diverter valve position for filling/commissioning?

Tony

Do both PCBs permit the centre diverter valve position for filling/commissioning?

Tony

yes they do I believe but on changeover in normal operation the newer board (fits all the turbomaxpro/plus variants) has a 3 step action whereas the old board moves over in 1 step. (the sound of the diverter valve motor working is another giveaway)

BG are a shower of muppets and clowns with sales targets to meet. They will of course tell you to buy a (ludicrously overpriced) powerflush from them and when that doesn't work say you need a new boiler.

No offence but the op could also get advice from someone with a more reasonably sized chip on their shoulder.

BG are a shower of muppets and clowns with sales targets to meet. They will of course tell you to buy a (ludicrously overpriced) powerflush from them and when that doesn't work say you need a new boiler.

No offence but the op could also get advice from someone with a more reasonably sized chip on their shoulder.

the truth hurts. . . . . .

With respect to the PCB I obviously have the older version so I assume this puts more wear on the diverter valve.

As far as the individuals from Vaillant and BG go I personally found both to be professional and knowledgeable but did get the feeling that BG were up against sales targets that could result in advice to benefit them rather than myself hence my request for info here.

Saying that, my BG guy did mention that you could hire the equipment for less than £100 as he helped pick me up of the floor, so he did have my interest in mind. :D

Can anyone advise whether on fitting the magnaclean both the isolator valve and Y filter should come out so it would fit nicely in the space or best to leave?

Also any suggestion on the pressure problem. I have noticed the overflow has been dripping so clearly pressure is going up above the max as since the pressure gauge is not responding immediately is the gauge faulty. Have now turned off CH completely and any demand for HW does not involve the clonking so is this likely to be the diverter valve.

I must admit the clonking seemed to be coming from the upper part of the boiler as opposed to where the diverter valve is located. Does this indicate anything?

I suppose the best thing is to get BG to diagnose the exact fault and if it's not covered I guess I still have an option to get someone else in if their pricing is astronomic.

as you are covered by bg get them to pump up expansion vessel, replace prv, replace diverter valve, replace pcb. All that is covered! Do not pay them to powerflush it.Get the magnaclean fitted (you can remove the y strainer) by a local plumber-it is not a difficult job.

BG will try and sell you stuff you don't need for commission and to meet their targets.

BG will try and sell you stuff you don't need for commission and to meet their targets.

I don't, there is so much junk on bg contracts that does need stuff doing there is really no need to, my only constraint is job times.....if I cared. ;)

While we're putting the boot in, I think you'll find that the word 'service' is not mentioned in your BG Homecare contract.

'Service' is a definition which does not legally cover the quick 'flue gas analyser up the jacksy' that you get under Homecare.

BG Homecare contract customers all seem to be under the misconception their boilers are getting serviced annually - they are not, in most cases.

My apologies.

No matter where I go I always seem to cause an argument :)

Can I just confirm that if the pressure drops too low then the CH will cut out so no damage will be done should I be looking at a faulty pressure guage.

Don't want to do any more damage before I can get someone in to look at it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back