Fitting a Room Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am putting in a Drayton RTS1 room thermostat into my house, as presently it doesn`t have one. It will be feeding into a Drayton Tempus 6 programmer. I would like confirmation of what cable to use. The terminals to use are L, N and switched live input.
It also says it requires a 3 amp fuse. Should the L input to the programmer have already gone through the 3 amp fuse?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I am putting in a Drayton RTS1 room thermostat into my house, as presently it doesn`t have one. It will be feeding into a Drayton Tempus 6 programmer.
It's the other way round. The thermostat gets its supply from the Tempus 6 Terminal 6.
I would like confirmation of what cable to use. The terminals to use are L, N and switched live input.
The correct cable to use is a 3-core with or without an earth (green/yellow) wire. Many installers use a two core plus earth and use the earth wire as the switched live; but this is not good practice. If done both ends should have red sleeving or be wrapped in red insulating tape to indicate that they are live.

It also says it requires a 3 amp fuse. Should the L input to the programmer have already gone through the 3 amp fuse?
If the programmer is not already being supplied from a fused outlet, there is something wrong. :eek:

The correct order is:

Supply ---- Fuse ---- Programmer ---- Thermostat -----Boiler.

Ok, thanks for that. The supply is coming from the mains fuse box and the smallest fuse there is 5amp and not 3 amp. Anyway if there is not one there I guess it should be possible to fit one on the wire before it goes into the programmer.
What size wire, 1.0 or 1.5?
Thanks

The supply is coming from the mains fuse box and the smallest fuse there is 5amp and not 3 amp. Anyway if there is not one there I guess it should be possible to fit one on the wire before it goes into the programmer.
:!: :!: :!:

The whole heating system should be protected by a 3amp fuse, either in a 3-pin plug into an un-switched socket or a fused spur. What is yours plugged into - the lighting system?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back