Meter to be changed - missing screw and fuse tag from cutout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all

I am having my meter changed next week for an economy 7 meter.
However I am a bit worried about one thing:

12 years back the electricity board installed the present meter and sealed it and the cutout.

A month later a friend of my father who worked as an electrician (now retired and moved away) installed a second hand consumer unit and isolation switch.

He tried moving the cutout as it was in the way of the consumer unit cover but failed and found another way to overcome the problem but left one of the two screws missing from the cutout cover.

However what should we say if questioned etc by the bloke who comes to change the meter?

I am willing to be ok with him if he is ok with me after all this is not my doing but what should I say/what can I do about this if necessary?

Everything has been like this for the past 12 years and I was already living in my home when the present cutout was installed 18 years back.

Any help appreciated.

P.S all the meter seals are intact

Sponsored Links
You have two choices, tell the truth or lie through your teeth. You could always make them a nice cup of tea and have some biscuits on standby - half coated chocolate ones.
They probably won't be that bothered about it tbh.

yeh i doubt they'll be bothered, just say it was like that when you moved in if they ask :LOL:

A guy i know who was meter engineer was telling me when he worked on the rough estates, loads of the flats had dodgy meters from the tenents tampering with them getting free electric. He didnt say a word to the tenents and thought fair play to them

Thanks but like I was saying, I was already living there when the cutout was originally installed, would they have a record of this?

The meter and cutout has loads of cobwebs,dust etc on them now so they havent been touched for a long time.

I have heard of them not been bothered a lot of times for fuse seals cut/missing but was just a bit worried a missing screw as well might seem a bit suspicious.

The meter seals etc are all fully intact.

Sponsored Links
my meter is hanging off the wall because i changed the cu and the board
nobody has ever said anything about it i told the meter reading guy and he made a note of it but they haven't been to fix it to my new board yet

Hello Everybody

Just saying thank you for all your help. They came to replace the meter yesterday and there was no problem at all, the bloke didn't even bat an eyelid.

He fitted the new meter and sealed it (cutout as well). I pointed out the missing screw (he didn't even notice) and said 'Oh well, it seems quite secure enough" which it is.

So that is one thing gone just fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back