drill choice

ngk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a makita hammer drill which im drilling holes in concrete block and have got through quite a few drill bits and some hole are hard work , would it pay me to invest in an sds drill and would this make life easier.

Sponsored Links
Two words. Hell yes! :LOL:

You can buy the cheapest SDS drill you can find and it will batter any cordless/hammer drill you have when it comes to purely drilling holes in masonry. You can even use an SDS with a blunt bit and it wont make a blind bit of difference to the performance :cool:

Sponsored Links
Or you couldn't go wrong with the Ryobi they had on offer for 40 notes. No chisel function but a bargain. They will have it on offer soon again no doubt.

any serious diyer or seasoned pro' would be completely bonkers if he/she did not buy bosch blue sds.

they are powerful, relatively inexpensive and indestructible.

i got a bosch pbh 2000 xcel and drilled more holes in a couple of hours with 1 bit than i have with a dozen bits in the last 2 days, got it at b+q as i wanted to get on, was £85 with 15% discount today good value i think

thats one of the Bosch green ones no? Still a good choice, but for a similar price you could have picked up a Bosch blue, without chisel function however. Still an SDS is better than having without!

Yes, there only50-60 quid on e-bay but it done the job ive been struggling with easily, ive spent £25 on bits for the other drill besides ive got kitchen and bathroom tile to strip so the chisel action will be handy, im happy with my purchase.

I've got a well old bosch green plane too. :D

It only really gets DIY useage so it's fine.

I wouldn't buy bosch green for any of my trade tools, but for my DIY stuff it's absoloutly fine.

I tend to go with makita for my trade stuff. I am yet to find fault with their 24V battery SDS drill after at least 2 years of daily use.

I'm the same, pretty much all my day to day kit is Makita, but sometimes peeps who are asking for a recommend on a drill are only going to be drilling a couple of holes a week so don't always need the same quality that us "heavy users" require.

This wouldnt have been my first choice but as i said i wanted to get on yesterday, with time on my hands id have definately got a makita but it is only for home use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back