converting a garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large garage at present that I wish to convert in to a car port and work shop.

Its built of timber and covered on the outside with T&G wood. It looks as though its a converted hut or something as inside the original owner added some extra support to the pitched roof which is covered with corrugated metal sheeting.

I don't have the money to pull the thing down and start again so I was wandering if it would be possible to modify it and strengthen the timber on the inside as I would like to add a tiled roof and replace the T&G timber with ship lapping over time.

i've looked on the internet but I can not find any way to calculate / work out the specification of the timber supports for the sides as well as the timber for the roof.

Can anyone help?

If yes, then I will supply the size.

Many thanks,

Adrian....

PS, please don't ask me to go to a structural engineer.....

Sponsored Links
what's wrong with structural engineers, they are a friendly bunch aren't they Shytalkz?

How big are the existing timbers? Wall studs? Joists? Trusses? Foundation wall?

T&G/shiplap, not a lot in it, no point replacing unless it's rotten.

Sponsored Links
At present its 6550 long X 4700 wide.

I plan to incraese the length to 9600 and use the back 4100 as a work shop. Between the garage and the workshop I will build a stud wall.

At present the wooden garage sits on a 1M deep single brick foundation which sticks out the ground by 2 bricks high.

The supporting timber is set at about 600mm centers and made of planed 3X2" timber. This is also sitting on a 3x2" timber thats on top of the brickwork , base plate ?. Its also at the top which supports the T&G. 2 windows down the sides but again 2X3" around the window opening.

Roof support
--------------------
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
----------------------
Brick

Something like this

The roof, well lets just say its a bit of a mess. there are 2 joists about a 1/3 rd of the way down the garage 4" square and a 4" square timber across the front doors that open out.

There is timber laying up the rook but allot are missing, on top is corrugated tin.

The tiles I want to use are plain concert tiles by Marley

Do you need any further information ( i understand that the roof will need to come off at some time as well so thats not a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back