Outside wall crack - Advice Required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First post on the forum, in need of some advice with regards to a property that I plan to purchase. There is a crack (see pic below) under the bay window on the front-facing outside wall. On the inside wall i could not identify any cracks, or pathched-up areas under the paint (as far as I could see). The rest of the bay seems to be in a good condition (apart from some flaking here and there). Based on your experience what do you think is the cause for this crack...and is it something that should be putting me off from continuing with the sale?

View media item 6016
A builder is going to take a look later in the week, but wanted to get a second opinion beforehand.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
it is not unusual to have some degree of cracking particularly with old bays. thermal movement/cracking is also commonplace.

the photo does not provide the relevant detail, i.e. whether the sill has dropped for instance?

Looks like an old crack.

Not a problem but get it repaired to stop further damage to the render or wall.

Thanks for your replies. I tried to find a picture that shows the sill from a distance, but I couldn't find any in my camera. As far as I remember there wasn't anything looking unusual (apart from crack shown, and the damage to the render). I will visit the property and get some more pics.

Assuming (for the moment) that this is an old crack, what kind of repair needs to be carried out...and how much would it cost me to get a builder to put it right? (roughly speaking...1-2k?...less...more?)

Regards

Sponsored Links
£100 or 1/2 day's work

Hack out and re-render. Or point it with a flexible mastic

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back