Replacement blade for an old Stanley No. 4 plane?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've found a place which sells lots of Stanley replacement blades but I can't work out which one I'd need?
Here's the site http://www.tooled-up.com/ManSearchR...=0&MID=STA&Sort=3&PageSize=20&Page=1#prodlist

Could someone point me in the right direction of what I should be looking for?

I suppose I could sharpen the blade myself but it's quite pitted and would require a lot of grinding.

Any advice greatly apppreciated.

Sponsored Links
A hand plan doesn’t have a blade it has a plan iron, here endeth the first lesson.

Respect your tools and they will respect you, here endeth the second lesson.

As helpful and concise the previous post maybe. they do not answer the question.

I'm pretty sure that they No.4, (and No.5), Possibly (6 & 7 as well) have 2ins irons - whereas the 4 1/2 & 5 1/2 have 2 3/8 ins irons. Try B&Q, etc - they usually stock these, Or even the bay (have seen a few on there).

Have you measured the iron you have?

Sponsored Links
A No.4 (smoothing plane), and No.5 (jack plane) both have an iron which is 2 inches wide.
The No. 4 1/2, No. 5 1/2, No.6 (fore plane), & No.7 (jointer/Tri plane) all have irons which are 2 3/8 inches wide.

If you go back to the tooled up link you posted before and look through there you'll see most/all of these different planes listed (all hand planes, but different length, for different tasks). Assuming you're correct in saying you have a Stanley No.4, then you should get an iron which is 2 inches wide, so the link you posted for the iron you found will not fit as it's too wide (at 2 3/8 ins.)

My previous post was simply correcting myself, as explained above. Hope that makes sense?!

Thanks morrik27, that makes a lot of sense. I know which one to get now.

Yes it's definitely a No. 4.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back