Shower install - tray/mixer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - is it difficult to install a shower tray with a shower mixer ? I am thinking of having one installed after browsing through catalogues this weekend...

Are the trays screwed to a wall on one side and are the florboards needing to be cut rhgough to run the wate pipe?

About the shower mixer, i am thinking concealed type are of course better, but on the other hand, probably more fiddly/tricky to install than surface mounted types?

If tricky then I may forget it and stick with the bath!!! :)

Sponsored Links
Hi - is it difficult to install a shower tray with a shower mixer ? I am thinking of having one installed after browsing through catalogues this weekend...

Are the trays screwed to a wall on one side and are the florboards needing to be cut rhgough to run the wate pipe?

About the shower mixer, i am thinking concealed type are of course better, but on the other hand, probably more fiddly/tricky to install than surface mounted types?

If tricky then I may forget it and stick with the bath!!! :)

Regarding the tray only - they can be a pain. Just from what you have said I would say - yes you might well find fitting one to be tricky. It appears that you have not researched (googled) shower tray fitting at all prior to posting (hence you guess at a method of fitting and ask a question that would be answered in the simplest Google search) and could not spare the time/energy to correct your own typos in your post all suggest that you might struggle with the care and thought required for this task.

Shower tray screwed to the wall ? aye that would be one of those wall hung shower trays :p

only kidding.

no they are not screwed to the wall. your floor may have to be cut to take the new waste, would need to see pictures m8.

shower valve depends on what type of hot/cold water system you have in your house. it needs to be a balanced hot and cold to work on a mixer valve.

Sponsored Links
well for a start the waste water will have to run away from the shower tray and into the main soil stack, normally outside of the house like the rest of the sanitaryware. donot be tempted to tie the shower waste into any of the small bore waste pipes ie. the bath or wash hand basin pipes as this will cause the traps to pull, or sypion the water out of the trap which allows the smell rising up from the sewer to enter the bathroom. tie into the main 4 inch soil with a strap on boss, which is cut into the stack with a hole saw cutter and glued on to the side of the main soil. if its cast iron then u won't be able to do this and somtimes the upper half of a cast iron soil stack ic made from abestos :!: u will have to lift the necessary floor boards for the waste at least. . next always pick a solid shower tray, never those cheap light plastic types, though there are heavy plastic trays out now. this can be mounted on the floor but must be leveled around the highest point all round. there is a built in fall on the mould so no need to fall the level towards the waste outlet . you can level it with packers and fill will expandible foam to stop any movent.. u can build the tray on a plinth, which raises the tray up and u can always access the trap if it gets blocked which it diffenitly will :LOL: the shower traps nowadays are cleanable which means there is a centre piece in the trap which catchs all that hair that evenually clogs the trap. you can then select one of the following options. a. an electric shower. feed from the mains, heated by electric. normally good pressure. comes in various kilowatt ratings . b. themostatic shower. good if you use a gas fired combi boiler system, cos u will always have hot water so long you pay ur gas bill :LOL: and pressure will be good. if you have an oil fired system with a copper cylider then booster pump may need to be added as the pressure will be poor, unless u have a mains feed unvented cylinder. you can buy themostatic pumped showers, expensive but r excellent. the hot and cold supplies will have to be picked under the floor up to feed the shower valve unless u intend to take the supplies from the bath. suface mounted valve are ok buy folk don't like unsightly pipework showing these days so consealed units are more appealing but u have to set the valve into the wall at the right depth , allowing for the covering , ie. the plywood cver and tile finish. etc. finally finish off with a shower door. why not just keep the bath in and fit the shower over the bath an fit a bath screen or curtain???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back