wash basin on plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I have to install a bathroom suite for somebody. The guy wants to knock down a stud wall, hiding various pipes and the soil stack, to gain more space. Basically he wants to eliminate the plasterboard and stud frame in the bathroom, leaving only one single panel of plasterboard between the bathroom and the adjacent room ( bedroom). In the bedroom just along this partitioning plasterboard there is an in-built wardrobe so he is not much concerned about noise. The thing is, as there are not going to be any studs, i do not know where to screw the basin in and using plasterboard screws, even though the basin will rest on the pedestal, i will not rest assured! Do you think the whole thing is possible?

Sponsored Links
if you remove all the noggins etc and leave just a panel of plasterboard up whats going to surport that before you even screw the basin on.

sounds the most stupid idea i've heard for ages.

Possible: Yes... Sensible: No
I lurked inside by cutting out a section of panel and funny enough the plasterboard in the bathroom is screwed to the timber frame while the plasterboard in the bedroom is not. As a matter of fact there is about 100 mm. gap between the stud frame and the plasterboard in the bedroom. That plasterboard panel must probably be screwed in the in- built wardrobe frame.

Sponsored Links
Possible: Yes... Sensible: No
I lurked inside by cutting out a section of panel and funny enough the plasterboard in the bathroom is screwed to the timber frame while the plasterboard in the bedroom is not. As a matter of fact there is about 100 mm. gap between the stud frame and the plasterboard in the bedroom. That plasterboard panel must probably be screwed in the in- built wardrobe frame.
Actually from the bathroom, there is the plasterboard panel screwed to the timber frame, then a gap of 100mm from the back of the timber frame to the other panel of plasterboard and there again another gap of approx 80 mm to the next plasterboard which is the back of the in-built wardrobe in the bedroom. In between the last two plasterboard panels there are no studs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back