Removing and replacing glass from double glazed unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fix some flashing on my porch, which has come adrift but it is difficult to get a ladder there e.g. neighbour has a big dog.

Consequently, I wonder if it would be easier to remove then replace the fixed window immediately above the flashing. The window I want to remove is a replacement for a sash widow and the lower glass is fixed and the upper one immediately above it opens outward, hinged from its top vertical.

Looking at earlier comments here, it seems that the process might be:

Remove internal plastic strips (glazing bars?) from inside the house using a wallpaper scraper or similar thin but wide bladed tool ?
Remove rubber strips from inside ( er is that simply pull them out after glazing bars removed?).
Open upper window, put my hand outside and push in gently so that the glass comes in the house.
Maybe use Duck / gaffer tape if I need a second pair of hands at any time.
Refit window ?

Does this sound reasonable or am I missing something please ?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
are you removing the glass or the window...is it internally or externally beaded?

The idea of removing the rubber gasket is to make it easier to remove the beading as this can be quite awkward.

Apart from that your not far off by the looks...

J.P

JP,

Thank you - My main objective is to be able to lean out of the window so I will try and remove whatever is easiest in order to achive this.

Cheers
Headache :)

I'm trying to do something similar (in my case to access some wiring for an outside light, the alternative being to walk on a glass conservatory roof or arrange some scaffold)

Is it actually possible to remove internal window beading non destructively and re-fit it? I've fitted quite a few windows/beading around the house and know how much hammering it took to get it to click into place!

I've tried to prise the beading out on this window - without removing and rubber - and it just seems to distort/gouge the the plastic.

Cheers

Gary

Sponsored Links
yes its possible to remove the beads but its takes alot of practice until your good at it. its easier to do in summer as the plastic is nt so brittle.the easiest way to do it is to start in the middle of the longest length of bead with a good quality scraper that will flex but not bend or snap.just push it in as far as you can and gently work it back and forth.sometimes removing the internal gasket or rubber strip makes this easier but pesonally i dont bother, if you do slighty damage the bead it can be rectified using a sharp chisel and cream cleaner.the other option would be to ask a window fitter to remove it for you.oh and one important point dont get the metal scraper anywhere near the edge of the glass or you could find yourself buying a new unit

The glass may also be stuck in with a self adhesive foam strip. If it is you can cut it with a knife. You will also need replacement strip to re-fit.

Job done and I learned a lot. For my bedroom window, both the thicker rubber strip (gasket) to be removed and the mitred beading which holds the glass in place were indoors.

Getting the gasket to start coming out was tricky but once I got one end out using a thin putty knife and thin wide-bladed screwdriver, I gently pulled the whole of the first of 4 lengths out then did the other 3.

Then I pushed the first beading INTO the glass and it came free. Did that for the other 3 beadings (i.e. one for each side of the rectangle) then held the glass in place, then gently removed it.

The gasket may get damaged and, if so, a replacement length may be required. I did not have a replacement so I re-used what I had then used a small bit of black silicone sealant to make good.

I was told that for some windows, the gasket may be outside and may be a single piece bent in the corners (rather than 4 separate pieces) but the principle is the same - the gasket causes pressure to keep the glass in tight.

Thanks for the help guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back