B&Q IT Select kitchen wall unit hanging devices

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone else found that these things are a great idea in theory and maybe even for a showroom where the walls are simple, but in practice they are a nightmare as you are forced to put the wallplate in specific spots on your walls which may have pipes, cables, bodged holes etc already there? After giving them up as a bad job on some units I just installed I nailed MDF strips along the back of the unit and was free to drill wherever I wanted to put the unit up.

Sponsored Links
I agree these brackets can be tedious to fit in difficult locations. They have the advantage of being adjustable and reasonably neat.

I mount kitchen wall cabinets with a batten underneath to support the weight along the full length. (This batten forms the top of a panelled frame which conceals cables, pipes and anything else that needs hiding, the panel is tiled.) The top edge of the cabinet is attached to the wall with standard brackets, or some other type of steel bracket if that's more suitable (such as an out-of-sight offcut of Dexion).

For other cabinets I prefer to use French cleats, or a variation on them.

I wouldn't trust nailed-on strips of MDF, though. What happens if the nails pull out or the MDF falls apart?

Never had a problem with them, a very straightforward method of hanging cupboards.

You do need to plan where the brackets are going to be but on a run of wall units if you have to miss one bracket out it is not the end of the world as the units either side will share the load.

I mount kitchen wall cabinets with a batten underneath to support the weight along the full length. (This batten forms the top of a panelled frame which conceals cables, pipes and anything else that needs hiding, the panel is tiled.)

That is a good idea.

A question.

Do you fit the worktop first and then panel down to it or do you panel to below worktop height and then fit the worktop to it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back