Shower tripping all electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Gainsborough Energy 2000x shower and when you turn it on it is tripping all the other electrics in the house. The water runs for a second or two and then stops. Does anyone know what the problem may be?

Sponsored Links
Probably a loose connection at the shower, shower isolator or the consumer unit but it could also be caused by water getting into the shower unit or just a knackered heating element.

Turn off all the electric and confirm that the installation is dead, then remove the front of the shower and look for loose connections or signs of burning/overheating. If everything looks ok then check the shower isolator. If you still don't find a problem, and you consider yourself competent to do so, you can check for problems inside your consumer unit. Unless you have a main isolator switch before your consumer unit the meter tails entering the top of the main switch will ALWAYS BE LIVE! So be very careful when poking around in there. If you still don't see any obvious problem you really need an electrician to perform some tests for you.

sounds like the eliment in the shower is faulty, the shower trst for water flow before turning on, hence it runs for a second before it trips.

Probably a loose connection at the shower, shower isolator or the consumer unit but it could also be caused by water getting into the shower unit or just a knackered heating element.

Turn off all the electric and confirm that the installation is dead, then remove the front of the shower and look for loose connections or signs of burning/overheating. If everything looks ok then check the shower isolator. If you still don't find a problem, and you consider yourself competent to do so, you can check for problems inside your consumer unit. Unless you have a main isolator switch before your consumer unit the meter tails entering the top of the main switch will ALWAYS BE LIVE! So be very careful when poking around in there. If you still don't see any obvious problem you really need an electrician to perform some tests for you.

sorry but i don't think you should be giving "advice".

Sponsored Links
sounds like the eliment in the shower is faulty, the shower trst for water flow before turning on, hence it runs for a second before it trips.
Hmmm.........

Care to explain why?

Tripping is either caused by a faulty element or water dripping onto the element if the seal between the front and back covers isnt 100 % water tight.

Care to explain why?
If everything looks ok then check the shower isolator.
What kind of fault in an isolator, visually obvious, would trip an RCD after a few seconds of a downstream device being turned on, but would cause no problems at other times?

If you still don't find a problem, and you consider yourself competent to do so, you can check for problems inside your consumer unit.
What kind of fault in a CU, visually obvious, would trip an RCD after a few seconds of a downstream device being turned on, but would cause no problems at other times?

A loose connection causes overheating. Overheating causes insulation to melt. A 9.5kW heating element switching on could cause arcing within a damaged isolator. Arcing + damaged isolator + duff cable insulation could cause an RCD to trip.

A high resistance N-E fault caused by a loose connection/overheating/perished insulation could also go undetected until a downstream load is connected, say like a 9.5kW heating element.

Oh, it could also be condensation in a ceiling mounted isolator switch caused by a lack of ventilation or a badly placed isolator or a poor seal between the isolator and ceiling.

All of these can be detected just by looking, so why the sarcy comments?? Even if the connections turn out not to be the problem, and its one of the other 2 options I gave in my first post, checking the tightness of the terminals is not a totally crazy idea. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back