gas to coal fire?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im looking at changing my gas fire back to a coal/log fire. Ive read about a lining being needed for one or the other but not sure which. With it originally being a coal fire then being changed to a gas fire would i need to have the lining removed or would it be fine to just put in a new hearth and use coal/wood (after having it swept) or is there more to it? The house was built around 1990 if it makes a difference.

Sponsored Links
A lining is not needed for either. If you have a gas tight chimney you can vent a gas fire through it, or indeed a solid fuel fire.
Your first step is to determine what you actually have got by removing the fire (need to be corgi) or looking at the chimney ie. is there a metal terminal on top?
If no liner and no terminal then do a smoke test (or get corgi engineer to do it for you) and test for smoke coming out in other rooms of the house, stack in roof, or badly pointed joints in stack on roof (unlikely as 1990's).
Get a sweep in to confirm everything is good to go and get yourself whatever solid fuel fire you desire.

is there a stainless steel flexible liner in the flue at present?

Couldnt tell you, the fire in place now covers everything up.

No problem with needing a corgi for the gas fire, its not connected to the gas mains because of a leak that we could smell but the detector couldnt find. Im not too sure on what is on the top of the chimney, i will have to check, next doors top is different to ours but i think they too have gas.If its a metal top would it need changing to a open top chimney pot? It would be nice to have a log fire burning for christmas day.

Sponsored Links
if there is a s.s. liner you will need to remove it and the cowl.

you can then fit a suitable clay pot to the existing chimney. a standard cannon usually does the trick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back