Overflow dripping for 3 years!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies first if this a FAQ, i have searched the forum and can not find a similar thread. Im trying to fix this problem for my Mother before i return to my Unit.(Soldier on leave).
My mother has just explained that since moving into the house 3 years ago, the overflow pipe has constantly dripped. She had 3 plumbers come to look at it and each gave differing answers so this put her off paying to have any work done.She opted instead to let the water drip into a water butt and use it to water the plants. Ive informed her this is not good practise due to her being on a water meter, plus , if and when the freeze comes she could slip on the ice that forms.

The system is a Baxi boiler.
The problem is the constant dripping from the overflow pipe outside, the water level has reached the overflow pipe in the small "tank"and is dripping out onto the path.
Ive drained the water out of it completely and tied the ballcock off so it doesnt fill up from there.I can now see that the water is entering the "tank" through the pipe at the bottom, its slightly more than a drip but not quite a full-on flow.
Before i drained the water out it was constantly at the over flow level.
In the space of an hour, half an inch of water has entered the "tank" through the pipe at the bottom.
Am i correct in assuming that water should not ENTER the "tank" in this way?
I have closed the cold water supply valve under the kitchen sink, closed the two valves in the airing cupboard and turned the central heating off.
Water is still entering the "tank".
I hope ive explained the problem enough for someone to help me sort it.
I have no problems in getting a plumber to carry out the work, i just need to know that we are singing from the same songbook.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Cylinder coil is split and allowing water from domestic side to enter heating circuit

Wow,that was quick!
Are you sure of this, ( no disrespect).
I forgot to mention that there is a lot of brown sludge in the tank.Dont know if this is indicative of anything or helps.
Thank you.

Id agree with namsag, also the brown sludge will be signs that the central heating is corroding internally. This will be accelerated by the fact that the system constantly has fresh water seeping into it.

Sponsored Links
Water will always find its own level so with the water mixing the little tank is trying to get to same level as big tank but it goes out the overflow.

Common fault

i agree...just as well the tanks where fitted at correct heights.

If the coil was split the storage tank ball valve would be continually running, so easy to check.

Yes Pablo,the last one did.
;)

Tell her not to rinse mouth with hot water after brushing teeth . perhaps 3 years too late?

If anyone has ever put fernox ds40 into heating system that has a split coil, can you remember the smell that comes from the hot tap... :LOL:

As the guy said to me who drank out of the hot tap do you think thats why i have had the sh#ts for the past 3 months.

YEP

As the guy said to me who drank out of the hot tap do you think thats why i have had the sh#ts for the past 3 months.

YEP

That was because he knew you was going round to collect your money :evil:

sorry namsag couldn't resist :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Funny enough this guy sort of kidnapped a BG engineer and kept him against his will for half a day till he fixed his heating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back