conifers for hedging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an hedge made up by hawthorn (about 1m high) between my drive and the public footpath.
I'd like to take these out and put them elsewhere but i'm not sure
how deep they are rooted. Does anyone know?
They are planted in a little space between the tarmac drive and the boundary wall.

I'd like to replace these with conifers but i've heard they are a pain for roots / subsidence. The hedge is about 5 or 6m from the house wall.

Would I be ok planting these and also would this change cause an issue with heave?

thks

Sponsored Links
Better you then me, its bad enough pruning hawthorn without getting ripped to shreds.
As for the roots, I would think hawthorn have bigger roots then conifers.
It depends on how old there are.
and you dont have to worry about conifer roots they grow down instead of sideways. we had a 60 foot high conifer growing for 30 years 5 meters from the house. no problems at all! The main thing you have it think about in where there are any drain pipes near by, which the roots could damage and corse blockage!

1) Hawthorn (Crataegus monogyna) is very good for turning so hold on to nice looking pieces and dry it out slowly in your garage or somewhere similar.

2) Western red cedar ( Thujia plicata) would be a good conifer to plant in its stead.

Sponsored Links
Keep the hawthorn, thieves wont walk through it, however, conifers...well that's different.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back