Trickle Vents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
May be a daft question,but can these be fitted into exisiting upvc window frames,or are they manufactured into the frames.

If they can be added where can i buy them and how easy is it to fit them?

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure if this applies to all window sections but I have seen a deeper top section used if you specify vents. A slot is milled through with a router and the vent just snaps in.

trickle vents can be fitted after the window has been fitted,it is a simple diy job.In an ideal world they would be routered in as shaggy says during manufacturing.
To fit retrospectiveley, contact a local window manufacturer(wickes used to sell them) to purchase and for dimensions,then it is a simple case of drilling holes/slots through the frame and screwing the vent to the inside and outside.If you can use a cordless it really is that simple.
Saying that,how old are the windows and what are they made from?If they are upvc only you shouldn't have a problem,aluminium casements with thermal breaks and you might hit some trouble!
Why do you want to fit trickles anyway?
A trickle vent in essence is just a hole frome the outside to inside(for ventilation) with a plastic guard to prevent gusts of wind and debris blowing directly into your room.

somtimes the same job is done by cutting a small gap in the inner and outer seals between the opening and frame but at different points round the window to stop draughts

Sponsored Links
Reason being of wanting trickle vents,is that my house suffers terrible condensation,in both the summer and winter.I live on a main road and its impossible to leave the windows constantly open,i sleep in the day wife at night,wife complains its too cold at noght and i get all of the road noise,also i have a baby who suffers from asthma,pollution etc.

I have a dehumidyfier but i still get the water on the windows,mould on walls etc etc.

The thought of trickle vents should keep everyone happy.

I was wondering if it not possible to have a open/shut vent on the ceiling and vent it out to the roof if ventilated or duct it to the back of the property to soffit vent or through the roof away from the traffic noise. Also a fireplace is a good way of ventilation.

Wossie, you need to decide where all the water is coming from. If the condensation is that bad you don't need trickle vents, you need full-bore vents such as extractor fans in kitchen and bathroom. Also, do you have a tumble-dryer that isn't vented to outside or do you dry clothes on the radiators?

Got extractor fan in kitchen,bathroom window always open.Washer/drier does not need venting.Chimney breast has been compeltly sealed with fitted wardrobes etc.

We do have damp tho,which has been treated by a damp proof company (apparently)brick work that i can see is damp.I think that my roof is leaking,so i presume this is where most of my problems are,roof can be fixed ,but damp i dont know.Can this explain why i have condensation in the summer time?

What else can i do ? help.

Completely sealing chimney breast is not a good idea. It's best with an air grill and a cap on the chimney pot which lets some air movement but stops rain entering.
If you have damp in the walls then that may be the reason. Condensation occurs when the air cools below the dew point . Warm air can hold more moisture but when it cools the moisture is deposited on the cooler surface.
If you could stop water entering the house then you can get rid of what's there. You open the windows at night to replace the warm moist air with colder drier air then shut the windows in the day so the air can absorb the moisture in the house. At night you change this moisture laden air with colder drier air again. You repeat this every night and eventually the house will become drier. I know you've said you have a dehumidifier but it may not be large enough to cope.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back