roof truss help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am building a double garage and now ready for the roof to go on. The garage is 7m long and 6m wide. I am proposing to use insulated tile effect metal sheets for the roof covering.

Is it okay to space the roof trusses (manufactured wood) at 1m centres since there will be little weight on the roof. I will be fastening 2x1 lats to the roof trusses to fix the metal sheets onto.

Any advice / help would be great

Cheers
Ian

Sponsored Links
You need to check with the truss/cladding designer/manufacturer.

But 1m seems too much - the laths will sag and bracing may be inadequate.

Its not just about the weight of the covering. There are things like wind and snow loading too

Thanks for the advice, will probably go for 600 centres to allow for any extra weight eg snow etc.

Cheers
Ian

Just use thicker laths, min. 2x2 tightly spaced will be much better than tile batten, see my previous answer to the Canadian bloke below.
Add 4x1 diagonal bracing internally of course.

Sponsored Links
By the size of the garage you have given have you got building regs for it.If you have then BCO will require calcs to justify your design for the roof .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back