old brick walls are not straight or plumb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How does one deal with insulating and dryliining walls that are not straight or plumb?

I heard that foil backed insulated (25mm insulation) plasterboard does not dot-and-dab well? Also these boards are amazingly expensive I'll need a more economic solution.

If I batten, the battens would presumably have a 1 inch gap or more as the walls are off by that much top to bottom.

Advice please?

Sponsored Links
Foil backed plasterboard is not insulating. Insulation backed plasterboard does not have foil, and is stuck on with special adhesive that does hold it.

You either dab it on, straight and plumb, or batten it out and plumb the battens with wedges

fromusa - make sure, if you use ^woody^'s wedges, to use 'opposing' wedges. That's 2 wedges with very slight slopes one on top of the other (the 69 position :D ); these are pushed together to 'take-up' the gap then fix the batten to the wall through the wedges (so they don't drop out). If you use a single wedge it'll tend to 'turn' the batten and maybe not allow a firm fix.

lol - I used the term wedges loosly. Actually I meant bits of hardboard and ply :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
^woody^ - yeh, I've also used my fair share of offcuts as 'packing' over the years ... works well. If fromusa has access to the appropriate tackle for bulk cutting, and he has a load of 'packing out' to do in all those 1" or more gaps, then I'd recommend the pair of wedges, indulging in the 'old 69' position, technique.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back