No outer lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I'm replacing a set of old set of softwood french doors for a customer. On seeing the job, the owners pointed out that there doesn't appear to be a lintel supporting the outer brickwork above the existing doors.
I've contacted B.C to notify them of the the change of doors to UPVC.
Starting the job i have found a lintel supporting the inner brickwork
but none on the outer. With it being face brickwork on the outside fitting a standard plank lintel will look horrible. Any ideas folks?
Just to point out that i know for a fact that from experience "named" Fensa window suppliers / fitters don't get involve in fitting lintels they just install, trim up and go.
Now i pointed this problem out to B.C , it's my problem.

Can someone enlighten me?!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
How do you want to be enlightened?

From the customers POV, you as a professional, would be expected to know or at least point out the potential that a new outer lintel may be required.

From your POV, you have quoted for the frame only so any lintel replacement is at extra cost.

You just need to agree on payment based on the above

Building control will require a lintel support. What goes on for other installations is irrelevant to this instance.

Hi thanks for the reply,
The problem isn't the cost nor the fact it needs a lintel.
Both issues are dealt with. The problem is what kind of
lintel do i install. A catnic is what i would install in a normal cavity but this would require serious alterations to the brickwork and even then i'm not sure the cavity gap is big enough to accept one.
Could i use a steel plate of some description.?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back