Removal of metal rawl plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have just fitted new towel rail in my bathroom that only required one hole. The old towel rail required two, hence i now have a spare rawl plug.
How on earth do you get these little beggers out?
I think (i could be wrong) it opens out behind the plasterboard.
Any suggestions?
:confused: View media item 6231

Sponsored Links
I usually get away with bashing it in just below flush, then fill. Or lever out by screwing bolt back in, then crowbar out the head using a pad of wood to protect wall. This should bring out the bolt and rawl, but most times also a heap of plaster :oops:

good luck ...

the rawl plug has been put in through the grout between tiles, so I need to do it without damaging tiles!!!
any more ideas?

Sponsored Links
It’s probably one of these;
http://www.tooled-up.com/ManProduct.asp?PID=151327
When the screw is initially tightened, the captive nut at the back winds itself towards the back of the partition, a bit like opening an umbrella. What you need to do is fit the screw through the first bit & then push it firmly inwards; this will push the nut away from the back of the partition, closing the umbrella again & straightening the plug out so it can be withdrawn back through the hole. If the screw isn’t long enough to push it all the way back, you can improvise with a suitable sized screw driver.

Those particular plugs are steel an open out behind the plaster board. Pulling them forwards will cause damage that you dont want. You could try some pliers to crimp the front and then push it in and fill the grout line again or very carefully use an angle grinder to get rid of the front face of it, i appreciate that this could be a bit dodgy against the tiles.

Those particular plugs are steel an open out behind the plaster board. Pulling them forwards will cause damage that you dont want. You could try some pliers to crimp the front and then push it in and fill the grout line again or very carefully use an angle grinder to get rid of the front face of it, i appreciate that this could be a bit dodgy against the tiles.
Err I though that was what I said! :confused: Doing it the way I describe will work & you don’t need to grind/squash the head or chisel out the grout! ;)

arrggghh,
pliers - check
screwdriver - check
lots of wiggling and pulling - check
lots of swearing - check

no, still no luck! when i screw the screw in a little bit, it is not moving and inch.

why would anyone invent such an annoying item!

arrggghh,
no, still no luck! when i screw the screw in a little bit, it is not moving and inch.
Don't screw the screw right it; just screw it in half a turn so it’s poking out of the wall & then push fairly hard on the screw head. When you push on the screw head, it should move towards the wall & push the captive nut away, straightening out the bars; it will become loose & allow you to pull the plug out. Push the head it in until it won’t go in any further but if you run out of screw, use a screw driver. I promise you it does work!

Put a metal drill bit in your drill and drill the b*st*rd out!!!!
Might work but what's more likely to happen is the plug will start to rotate in the wall as soon as the drill bit bites!

not if you push fairly hard, or drill at a slight angle. :eek:
What’s with the :eek: it’s a simple problem with an equally simple solution; I've already said that what you suggest might work (& will if you know what your doing) but why take a drill to it when you don’t have to! :rolleyes: If the OP was experienced & confident about drilling it out, don’t you think they would have done that already. Why the risk inexperienced hands boring a bloody great hole through the tiles or allowing the drill bit to slip damaging them, straightening out the legs of these plugs behind the wall so you can pull it through works every time.

&, trust me, as far as drilling technique goes I doubt you could ever teach me anything.

oh Richard, you are so funny.
Thank you so much for your advice, I have now removed both rawl plugs indeed using your mehod.
I do agree that using a drill would have been a bit risky but do take a chill pill, these people are trying to help. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back