MOT 1 Crushed Rock loose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the wife controls the budget, she has ordered 4.5 Ton of MOT type 1 crushed rock "loose" rather than in 1 ton bags.., rightly so as it is 1/3rd of the price.

Question is, how much space do I need to have for this quantity when it flies off the back of the wagon. I have visions of it blocking the neighbours drive :eek: Do the pro's make a wooden pen to retain it until used?

Lastly, it won't be used immediatley, over a couple of weekends to get in situ and compact, will the weather adversely affect it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
it will cover a footprint of about 21/2 -3m each way, depending how its tipped. cover it over otherwise the fines from it will get washed away

You can buy 1ton bags in B n Q for about £8 each. buy 5 and shovel it into those. :mrgreen:

whats the point?

we normally lay about 3 boards of osb down before we get any loose delivery. stops stuff getting washed away, wet underneath, leaves the road clean and makes it very easy to shovel off as you go

Sponsored Links
Thanks Thermo. I've just ordered 2 lots of 8 X 4 Sterling board to come with the delivery of MOT1. I've made a pen for it as well to try and retain it.

I am going to spread and compact the MOT this weekend. Was wondering if your comment about covering it over applies to the compacted stuff? I won't be laying slabs on it until the weekend after, and its likely to rain..

I know, wrong time of year for these jobs, but hey, come the summer I want to be sat on the patio not building it :D

no its fine to do it in the wet. in fact it tends to go abit like concrete when it dries out, giving a very good base for the patio

thanks again Thermo.

Any tips on using the "wacker" plate? I'm a bit apprehensive..

cheers

rake out the mot to get it roughly level. (doesnt have to be spot on its only a base course) Turn the whacker on and away you go. higher the revs the faster it compacts. very easy to use. go up and down in one direction and back across again at a 90 degree angle to the way youve just done. Should only need a few passes. any real low or high spots can be raked again and compacted again. Dont overdo it if its really wet as it will draw the water up .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back