Pleeeaase HELP! misty double glazed panels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I WOULD BE VERY GRATEFUL IF ANYONE CAN HELP. my flat was bulit by Wimpey , nearly 10 years old (perhaps NHBC 10 yr certificate might cover me?). The windows are wooden frame with double glazed panels,approx 40cm wide by 55cm height(lower parts), and approx 35cm wide by 45cm height (upper opening parts). SOME OF THESE PANELS HAVE MIST/CONDENSATION INSIDE. Is it easy to get hold of these panels? How much do they cost? Is it easy to fix? or would it be better to get a professional and how much would they charge? OR will my NHBC cover me (1month before it's 10 yrs are up) MANY THANKS!!!

Sponsored Links
Have a read to see what your nhbc says about it. You can get replacement double glazed units from most glass merchants who will make them up for you. I just bought some for a new window, 1000 x 1200 overall, one fixed and one opening fanlight, and paid £28.00 plus vat for the two units. Its a relativly easy job to do yourself in timber windows if you are a compentent diyer. Need any more info just ask

Thermo

thanks a million thermo! i'll definitely follow your advice.... in the meantime...please kindly tell me the steps for the job.....how to take the beading off without damaging it and the rest, what i will need for the job, tools and materials apart from the units. many thanks

Go and have a look at the windows and then come back and describe them. If they are casement style it is fairly staright forward. If you look at the outside you should see a bead of timber all the way around the glass, and you may see where the pins (small nails) have been used to secure them. Usually on the face that is 90 degrees to the glass. Double check its these before we go any further

Thermo

Sponsored Links
thanks again thermo...

yes they are as u described on the outside, i live on the second floor so i hope i can replace them from the inside, the upper units are the smaller units in the opening part of the windows with thin beading inside...and i can't see where the pins are on the inside beading if any. And the lower larger parts have much larger beading....although i can't see the pins on the inside of these either... perhaps i'll need to strip the paint first....

Please continue with advice

you are going to find it tricky to replace these from the inside if you are on the second floor. On the interior side of the window there will be no beading it will be all part of the window frame, so you wont be able to remove that. On the exterior side of the frame should be the removable beads. As masona says any chance of a photo before we have you hanging out of a second floor window to try any further?

thanks masona and thanks thermo...i'm just overwhelmed with the kindness and helpful nature of u people...this world is a nice place afterall

i think u guys don't need a picture cos u seem to have sussed it out already...nevertheless..i'll try with my cam or draw and scan a picture...but how do i get the pic to u ...email? and i may not get it to u guys until tomoorow

if it is to be done from outside it won't be me that's for sure....i want to live a bit longer....so how much would it cost me for someone to come and do it?

How long is a piece of string? (twice as long as from the end to the middle!) Best way to find out is to get some people around to do some quotes. See if you can do the photo or drawing though just to make sure. I think if you look in the forum notes it explains attaching the photos

Thermo

ok cheers... i'll get back to u later or by tomorrow .. have a good evening...god bless

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back