Freshly dug vedge plot.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why would one cover a freshly dug area, ready for next years planting, with plastic?

Sponsored Links
top - I wouldn't. Leave it uncovered over Winter to allow the frost to get at it then cover it up in very early Spring so that the ground warms up a bit before you sow/plant. This'll give you a couple of weeks head-start on the growing season.

Weed growth is unlikely to be a big problem 'cos the ground'll be too cold for most of their seeds to germinate; any that do beat the elements can be pulled. Frost on soil is GOOD.

Thanks for the advice - I'll take the b.l.oody sheets off tomorrow, unless the wind has done the job for me.

Trazor - The weed isn't what the heat seeking devices on Old Bill Helicopters are looking for it is the waste heat from the Hydroponic heaters, rather than the Marryuana weeds themselves. :) :)

Sponsored Links
Normally heat and weed growth. Maybe plastic is easier than using a more natural mulch.

If you've any branches from pruning I'd cover the area with them or you'll end up with one giant cat toilet.
When I dig compost into my vegetable patch I have to cover every little part.

Whether cats would be less likley to mess on plastic I don't know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back