Partial removal of chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

We'd like to remove the chimney from our house. It is a single storey bungalow and the chimney is central to the house. Only used for one room.

We'd like to remove it to free up space in the living area. There was a back boiler and fire in it but these have been replaced with a new heating system elsewhere.

Here's the problem. We want to keep the chimney outside the roof, purely for aesthetic reasons. The house would look wrong without it.

So can the upper-most part be supported in some way?

TIA, J

Sponsored Links
it is possible, in some situations to gallows bracket or support with steel beam, the remainder of the chimney above ceiling level.

i would be inclined to seek professional assurance though.

Thanks Noseall.

Decided to just take the whole thing down :LOL:.

J

Sponsored Links
The house would look wrong without it.

how so? :confused:

I tend to agree, although it does depend on the style and age of the existing house and on a bungalow it probably wouldn't make much difference. Many of the houses we work on are traditional houses and in my opinion they would look odd without a traditional feature such as a chimney. This is even more so if the house is in a row of simlar houses, all of which have chimneys but then one has it removed - it would make that house look odd and may even reduce its value (or so my parents were told when they wanted to alter something on their house so it no longer matched the neighbouring houses). Much of our work is in a national park and, on the rare occasions we get to build new dwellings, we have, in some cases, included dummy chimneys at the ridge purely for asthetic purposes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back