Re-building a house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello DIYnot ! This is my first post here, actually my first in any DIY forums. I will start first by presenting myself, my name is Sergiu, I'm 20 years old and live in Romania, Bucharest.

I've recently been given an abandoned house to take care of in which i would be living in in the near future. The house is in pretty bad shape and I want to repair/rebuild it (it's one wish off my "Before I die"-to-do list). Some info on the house, it's brickmade, it's only groundfloor, i think it has 3-4 rooms, it has no floors but dirt to stand on, the garret(attic?) is in pretty bad shape and i didn't see any beams, i think the roof sits only on the room walls. And, of course, it rains in the house, the roof is in bad shape.

I can provide tons of pictures of all angles and all details that i can possibly give, but before i do that I would like to ask first if you'd have patience helping me out because I am inexperienced, I am not familiar with any speciality terms in English nor is my english so swell, as i've probably made some grammar mistakes already. These being the cons about me, the pros may be that I am persistent, eager to learn, i'm more or less a fast learner and I have motivation.

Thus, DIYnot can you help a lad like me rebuild his broken down house?

Yours truly,
Sergiu.

Sponsored Links
Would you not be better asking localy?

We do not know your local laws / building codes

There are hardly any DIY communities .ro and for the laws, as long as i don't modify the building foundation there won't be any problems. Actually before making any visible / serious changes i would consult the law.

ask away, youll find plenty of helpful people on here.

Sponsored Links
Great! I'll go to the house tomorrow or Tuesday to take pictures and I'll post a gallery of the house.

'till then,
Sergiu.

There are hardly any DIY communities .ro
I never said that there is. I meant for you to ask some one who is qualified to give you the correct advice for your country

........ and for the laws, as long as i don't modify the building foundation there won't be any problems.

Are you sure?

Actually before making any visible / serious changes i would consult the law.

So you are not sure then.

Any "builder" on here can tell you how to do what ever you want to do, the question is would it be acceptable in your country? You dont know, and neither do we, that is why i suggest you ask in your country.

I can see it now.

Man.

ah, z3rongod, this wall that you have built, its very nice but it does not comply with our building codes, who told you you can do this?

z3rongod

I asked on a U.K.based foum, they said this is how they do it.

Man

That may be how they do it in the U.K, but we are not in the U.K are we?

We have a similar problem with Australians and the "electrics" they do things similar to the way we do, BUT we also know the home owner is not allowed to do almost anything without getting in an electricain, so we have to tell them unfortunately we can not help. (that is also why we have a section called "electrics outside the UK"

its just I for one do not want you to do something that may not be ok to do in your country

Off topic - I thought this is a 'DIY' forum, not a 'Professional Building Advice' forum and secondly if advice was not posted or couldn't be given on any topics that required 'certificated tradesman', building regulations or similar lawful execution then this would be a dull, empty board.

Off topic - I thought this is a 'DIY' forum, not a 'Professional Building Advice' forum and secondly if advice was not posted or couldn't be given on any topics that required 'certificated tradesman', building regulations or similar lawful execution then this would be a dull, empty board.
In many cases DIY work must still comply with relevant Building or statutory regulations in force in whatever country you live in. Many contributors on the forum are professionals in one trade or another & give advice accordingly but, personally, I would never give advice where I know regulation/legislation applies without also advising the relevant regulations the work must comply with. It’s then a personal decision for the OP to choose either to accept or ignore that advice. Unfortunately many of those posting initially have no idea such legislation or restrictions exist but it is, unfortunately, an ever increasing occurrence here in the UK & it’s going to get even worse!

I've consulted with others including my parents and there won't be any problems, as long as i don't do any major changes like for instance taking down a 5m X3 m wall, which i do not intend. But even if i had to, there wouldn't be a problem as bribing people is not that hard here. I insist there won't be any problems.

I couldn't get in the house, more exactly in the yard today, because the lock that i have installed on a chain that holds the door is rusted out. Key wouldn't even move in the lock. It was late, barely any daylight, so i'll buy tomorrow morning a new chain and lock, try to cross all the garbage people (gypsies) threw in the yard, hope there won't be any bums living inside because a window was opened and come back with some pictures of the house

Buna Ziua Sergiu,

I think somebody has got too much time on their hands, haven't they? :D

Off topic - I thought this is a 'DIY' forum, not a 'Professional Building Advice' forum

Have you looked in the plumbing and electrics sections?

And what happens when a pro wants to do some DIY - is he allowed to ask :p

Salut hotrod! Yes sir I do have free time to spare :D I don't understand entirely what's with mattylad

I just can't wait to start working on it :D

Buna Ziua Sergiu,

I think somebody has got too much time on their hands, haven't they? :D
Think you might be right
animal0058.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back