Exterior Bowed Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I went to see a property today which was built in the 30's and the external wall was visibly bowed. please excuse my complete ignorance but what are the implications of this (in terms of repair/cost etc). In all other respects the property was perfect for my family, but obviously this was a major concern.

Any advice would be most gratefully received.

Thanks
Rob

Sponsored Links
You really need to have a good surveyor look at it. There a number of things that it could be, including wall tie failure in a cavity wall.

Is this wall below the bay window?

Without more details its impossible to say

Thanks for the replies,

the bow is in the side external wall of a semi detached 2 storey house.
Its high up the wall on the outside of where a bedroom is.

id say from memory from about a metre below the the apex roof to where the upstairs floor would be. So its about a couple of metres long.

This sounds so bad as im writing it down- it cant be good can it.!?

Sponsored Links
What? ..... bowing horizontally, vertically, cracked, leaning right out or just a bit, what construction are the walls, cavity or solid, any problems on the inside etc etc?

:rolleyes:

It may have been built like it you know, and stood there for 70 years

But you have got no chance of an answer without a better description or a picture

Thanks again, bow is horizontal and noticable, it looks like a wave sort of in the brickwork. the vendor whils showing us round said that the interior ceiling had bowed and been repaired. (we hadnt seen the exterior bowing at that point).

It was only as we were looking externaly at the property after the vendor had left.

I appreciate how hard it must be to advise on the strength of my descriptions so thanks a lot.

I will have to get a good surveyor out.

Thanks a lot
Rob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back