Alterations to the Chimney Breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We recently had our back boiler and accompanying fire removed as part of a heating system upgrade and what we would like to fit in its place is a quality wood-burner 'effect' fire (be it gas or electric) - think cast iron Broseley/Aga as opposed to tin can Valor/Dimplex. The thing is, even the smallest fires (of this type) will barely fit into the gap left from the old boiler/fire and cosmetically it would look better if the opening was a good 6-8" bigger.

Now if there is one thing I do know and that's not to mess with chimney breasts (especially living a semi-detached) and there is no way on gods earth that I'd even consider trying this as a DIY job.

Question is, Is this something that is realistic to do (even for a professional) and if so, could someone care to give me a ballpark figure of the kind of costs that this may entail so I can compare against Plan B - having a simple inset fire installed instead.

Sadie.

Sponsored Links
so long as there is enough 'meat' left on the sides of the chimney breast then make it bigger.

i would say that if you have about 335mm of masonry remaining each side, then make it bigger and lintel over accordingly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back