COMBI BOILER, PRESSURE TOO HIGH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Baxi 105e instant, noticed when the heating was on the pressure reached 3.0 Bar, then the relief valve opened and it dropped to 2.5Bar, it was suggested I repressurise the expansion vessel.
So I set it to 1Bar and the operating pressure remained rock solid, and I observed it over the next seven days, although the operating pressure remained steady each day it had increased until by the end of the week it had reached 3Bar,over the same period the cold pressure decreased and I had to top up with water.
I suspect the expansion vessel may need replacing, any idea how much this would cost or can anyone suggest another resolution. :?:
Regards Rotherman

Sponsored Links
If the vessel isn't leaking water then you could try replacing the valve on it. Cost about £1.

I had a similar problem recently so can only ask if did what I did.
Did you test the expansion vessel by depressing the valve and if so did any water come out, indicating a hole in the diaphram.
Also did you apply the correct procedure by draining off water before recharging the air pressure on the expansion vessel.
I understand the Pressure Relief Valves don't always seal properly once opened, so that could be a reason for the cold pressure to reduce.
I fastened a clear plastic bag to the pressure relief outlet pipe and there is clear evidence that a small amount of water is escaping and it does mean I have to increase the pressure once in a while.

if you do need to have a new expansion vessel then just get an external one and have it installed onto one of your heating pipes somewhere in the system.....any pipe flow or return...hide it under the floor or you can mount it up on the wall next to your boiler......get PRV changed st the same time.......

Sponsored Links
Hi Mandate ,
I pressed the valve on the expansion vessel and AIR came out, so I closed off the the valve on the central heating return pipe, and drained the boiler(situated in the loft), 3 to 4 letres I guess, when I was sure all the water was out I pressurised the vessel to 1 Bar. which remained steady so I replaced the dust cap and opened the valves to refil the system and set to 1 bar. With the central heating on the operting pressure was steady at about 1 bar, thought I had cracked it :cool:
Regards Rotherman

I had a similar problem recently so can only ask if did what I did.
Did you test the expansion vessel by depressing the valve and if so did any water come out, indicating a hole in the diaphram.
Also did you apply the correct procedure by draining off water before recharging the air pressure on the expansion vessel.
I understand the Pressure Relief Valves don't always seal properly once opened, so that could be a reason for the cold pressure to reduce.
I fastened a clear plastic bag to the pressure relief outlet pipe and there is clear evidence that a small amount of water is escaping and it does mean I have to increase the pressure once in a while.

what you did seems ok. Time to try the plastic bag idea, maybe the PRV is not fully sealing. I note kitch0978 advises new PRV, that must tell you something

Another problam is a blockage on the pipe from the expansion vessel, there for cutting the vessel out of the system altogether (usually a flexy silver pipe simlar to a filling loop tube, although can be copper too), if this is blocked with debri then water can only expand back into the system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back