Remove a Galaxy 16 (ADT) alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, some years ago I had this alarm install by ADT (worked from home at the time).

But about 7 years ago, I stopped the contract with them and the alarms been sitting doing nothing since that day.

However, we had a power cut the other day and all hell let loose!

I would now like to remove the alarm with out paying ADT the £150.00 plus they want to do it.

I know where the control panel is, and I have a manager pass code, is it possible to de-install it without the dam thing P***ing off the neighbours?

Any help or advice is most welcome.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
not really is the answer to your question.

all i suggest is you remove it as you think but do it during the day.

but why take out something that is / was working ? why not get a.n. other alarm company to take it over?

this is quite a common statement

.........My inlaws got burgled last weekend and now me and mrs are kinda paranoid and want an alarm fitted in ASAP.

taken from this thread

Hi,

Thanks for that breezer, I kinda thought it was going to be a bit of a problem getting it out, as when the chap put it in, as I recall he did say it was tamper proof. In it's day it was linked to a call centre and redcare.

One other question, as it only goes off when we have a power cut I am guessing, looking around this forum, that it could well be that the battery in the control panel has seen better days.

Would you know if this is something I can change for myself? - Also does anyone know what type of battery I should be ordering, don't really want to open the panel twice as it's in a bugger of a place to get too.

Thank again in advance.

Hi,

Thanks for that breezer, I kinda thought it was going to be a bit of a problem getting it out, as when the chap put it in, as I recall he did say it was tamper proof. In it's day it was linked to a call centre and redcare.

One other question, as it only goes off when we have a power cut I am guessing, looking around this forum, that it could well be that the battery in the control panel has seen better days.

Would you know if this is something I can change for myself? - Also does anyone know what type of battery I should be ordering, don't really want to open the panel twice as it's in a b*****r of a place to get too.

Thank again in advance.

no problem changing the battery

if you get yourself a 7 amp hour battery then open the panel the system will tamper

put your code in to silence

replace battery put cover back on

enter code press A then ESC

this will reset the system PROVIDED it has not been programmed for engineer tamper reset only

i would do a dummy run first before batt. purchase

if there is a problem with reset let us know and we will try to suggest a way round it.

Sponsored Links
Hi, Sorry I think maybe I'm being thick, but what do you mean by "dummy run first" - what would this do for me, surly if it's open, popping in a new battery would not hurt either way - or am I making this too simple?

Again thanks

imigix, is suggesting you try opening the panel to see what happens, in that it may (or not) create a "remote reset required" display.

if it doesnt all well and good nothing lost, go and buy a battery

but if it does and you had brought the battery you cant use the alarm and so wasted money on the battery.

he is trying to save you money, by you opening the lid (costs nothing) and see what happens

imigix, is suggesting you try opening the panel to see what happens, in that it may (or not) create a "remote reset required" display.

if it doesnt all well and good nothing lost, go and buy a battery

but if it does and you had brought the battery you cant use the alarm and so wasted money on the battery.

he is trying to save you money, by you opening the lid (costs nothing) and see what happens

yes go through the operation as i have suggested but without replacing the batt.

then you would know that you can or cant reset after a tamper

OK, thanks for that, if I do open the case and it wants a remote reset, will I be able to silence the alarm with my PIN code?

A remote reset is not something I can not do as the alarm is no longer under a contract, if it wants this "remote reset" what are my options?

I'm sorry to ask so many questions but I want to understand a little about what I'm doing before I take screwdriver in hand.

Also does the size of the battery matter, I have found a Yucel 12v 7.0Ah Alarm Battery with Dimensions of (L x W x H mm) 151 x 65 x 97.5
will this fit inside the box?

Thanks for all you help and advice it is much appreciated.

OK, thanks for that, if I do open the case and it wants a remote reset, will I be able to silence the alarm with my PIN code?

provided your code still works, then yes

A remote reset is not something I can not do as the alarm is no longer under a contract, if it wants this "remote reset" what are my options?
get some in to take it over or remove the remote reset option

I'm sorry to ask so many questions but I want to understand a little about what I'm doing before I take screwdriver in hand.
no problem

Also does the size of the battery matter, I have found a Yucel 12v 7.0Ah Alarm Battery with Dimensions of (L x W x H mm) 151 x 65 x 97.5
it does, but the one you mention is the same as the one that should be in the panel now, so no worries.

Thanks for all you help and advice it is much appreciated.

your pin will silence the system.

as your alarm is not armed at the moment the outdoor sounder will not sound the noise will be indoors only.

if your code will not allow a reset the system will just stay as it is

without knowing the engineer code that adt have programmed in it would mean a manual for the panel and defaulting back to factory settings and the a reprog.

in view of your knowledge i would suggest you look in yellow pages and find a local company registered with the SSAIB and speak to them

as regards your battery the one you mention should be fine.

Hi All,

I have a adt galaxy 16+ alarm system, it started playing up this morning and i found out that the fuse was down in the fusebox. I switched back on and now i am getting the following message on the keypad >>>>>>>>>>>> engineer reset required

does anyone know how to do this please ?

Ring ADT. If still under contract.

If not get in a local NACOSS/SSAIB company, have it serviced. As it sounds like you have a worn out battery like the first poster.

thank you for your prompt reply.

I called ADT , my contract had ran out....9 years ago.

I found a battery supplier and will have it replaced tomorrow, however, the engineer reset problem would remain in spite of changing the battery...

I guess calling a local engineer would be the best option rather than messing about with the system, lets hope they are not expensive. Any idea on how much they should charge to reset the system ?

First of all get 3 quotes.
I would expect anything between £80 and £100 plus vat.

I contacted severa local companies and they all came back with the same answer "we cannot get the code from ADT".

Is there a way I can get the code ?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back