Dimmer Switch used with 6 LAMP HALOGEN CEILING LIGHT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I need some advise, i have recently installed some 1 way Single Dimmer switches (60 watts minimum to 250 watts maximum). Now i want to install some Halogen ceiling lights with the following spec advertised by the seller:-

Mounting
Ceiling

Lamps description
6 x G4 MAX 20W

Lamps supplied
Yes

Finish
Brushed Chrome

Environment
Indoor

Transformer availability
Supplied

Dimmable
Yes

IP rating
None

Voltage (V)
230 (UK Standard)

The spec states that the lights are dimmable and i have also confirmed this with the seller. But what i am worried about is that the ceiling lights have transformers. I have checked the documentation and is does not state anywhere that the lights cannot be used or not used with dimmer switches. But i have been told by a friend that because they have transformers that they wont work with the dimmer switches as he had a similar setup in his own house and the lights would flicker and then the transformers would fail. Please advise.

Thanks

Jay

Sponsored Links
Yes the sellers spec does say they are dimmable but i want to know if the transformers can cause an issue.

Thanks

Jay

You'll have to check with the seller what is compatable with the electronic transformer type - some dimmers are leading and some are trailing edge.

Sponsored Links
Another factor is whether the dimmers need to be derated for the TH load.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back