Leaky walls!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The house is late Victorian with 18" thick solid stone walls (sandstone/lime mortar with no cavity). We've knocked all the plaster off the walls as it was poor condition. In two areas there was evidence of damp which coincides with damp areas that we had believed was due to condensation as they were behind cupboards.
At the weekend we battened the wall and put 25mm Kingspan insulation in prior to fitting a vapour barrier and plaster boarding it. After 3 days, I've just removed the insulation panels to check the damp areas and there is evidence of water on one stone in each position - not just a damp feeling but actual water glistening!
In both cases, there is no obvious area on the outside of the wall that points to water ingress, so how has it got in? Is it possible that there are porous stones that run right through the walls? How is that different from the porous lime mortar that the house is built with?
If so, what is the best solution? My thoughts are to tank the inside area with cement/PVA slurry (it stopped the inspection pit in my garage from flooding), and possibly using a waterproofer very locally on the outside.
Any suggestions are welcome!
Mike

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back