New boiler making lots of noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ,
I had an Ideal boiler fitted on Monday and the noise from it is really causing issues with my existing health problems and making things much worse.It's the noise that's the problem and I'm not able to spend any time in the kitchen without getting really ill.Today I had the pump changed, but it really doesn't seem to have improved things much and the pump was just swapped for another of the same make.The pump is also Ideal.Has anyone got any ideas on how to sort this? Any help appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Jo

Sponsored Links
Hmm hard to explain just a general boiler noise but on a louder scale and quite high pitched and a bit hissy.It's got less hissy since the new pump was fitted.
Jo

when you say getting really ill do you mean from the stress of the noise or other symptoms?

Sponsored Links
system could still be full of air a hissing noise inside is usually air releasing from the auto air vent have you had any banging noises from within the boiler.

found ideal boilers to be one of the noisest on the market, actually took a two year old one out 6 months ago as customer couldn't sleep for noise (worked nights and slept day).

I have ME and one of my main symptoms are noise intolerance.After 20 mins in the kitchen earlier I had severe nausea , dizziness , headache , muscle pain and had to use a stick to walk, much the same happened yesterday too along with muscle twitches.To make things worse a light flashes on and off when the boiler heats up and that causes the same kind of reaction so thats now got blue tack over it which has sorted the problem lol.

There are no banging noises and the radiators seem quieter today but then I've had to take myself upstairs away from the problem to avoid getting worse.It does seem quiet now on and off but once it starts it's still quite loud.

Someone has mentioned a Grundfos pump as a solution as it can be turned down to the middle setting reducing 60% of the noise.Does anyone have experience of this type of pump?

Thanks for the replies :)
Jo

I'm no doctor or medical expert and fortunately for me I have no experience of what you are suffering, but the symptoms you describe could fit CO exposure.

You need to get this checked out.

I have had one customer who had been medically diagnosed as suffering from ME, to only find out after calling me in that their boiler was leaking CO :eek:

Not trying to say this is your problem, but get your self checked out properly ;)

It's definitely the noise causing it I've been diagnosed for over 13 years and I always react the same to noise.I've also lived in various places since getting ill and nothing has changed healthwise.This boiler was only fitted on Monday and if it's quiet then I'm fine, but when it's making noise then the problems start.

Jo :)

Soundproofing with a cupboard is something I've thought about but I'm not sure it would be enough.I can hear a mouse squeak over 25 fields ;) I also can't afford to spend much money at the mo so really need to get the boiler quieter rather than attempting to cover up the problem.

Jo

Unfortunately Ideal boilers are never very quiet :rolleyes:

I'm starting to get that impression from things the engineers and others have said.I wish I'd known all this before as I'd rather have kept going with my old combi boiler rather than struggled with this one.

Jo

Who chose /suggested this boiler for you?

Did you tell them that you had to have a really quiet or the quietest boiler on the market?

Maybe you were advised wrong :confused:

Hi ,
The boiler was via a warmfront grant so I wasn't offered a choice of boiler.I really haven't come across a boiler so noisy before so didn't even consider that a new boiler would cause problems.You live and learn :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back