Rendering in November/December

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to render part of the walls on the outside of my house and I am wondering is it ok to do this sort of job at this time of year? Will I need to wait longer than normal for drying?

The old render seems to be about an inch or so thick so the new render will be the same.

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
so long as it is 5 degrees and rising then you will be ok.

drying times will be prolonged obviously, so this will be reflected in how much waterproofer you put in the scratch coat.

Indeed and much better conditions than a baking hot day with the sun blazing down on it.

Thanks guys. One last thing is i'm not 100% sure how thick should the scratch coat should be. Could someone tell me ?

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. One last thing is i'm not 100% sure how thick should the scratch coat should be. Could someone tell me ?

as thick as you dare.

seriously, if you need to build-up thick, to an existing render then use the opportunity with the scratch coat to lay on as much as possible.

Cheers noseall. I have posted a question about "scuding" on a thread elsewhere on this forum but I may aswell ask it here instead....
Parts of the wall are down to the bare brick so do I have to scud the brick before putting on the scratch coat?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back