3 gang 2 way light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help me out here?

I have just moved into a new house. there is a three way light switch in the hall down stairs. One works the light in the hall, one works the light on the landing and the other should work an outside light. the landing light also has another switch up stairs. Both lights inthe house work fine but the wire for the outside light has no power in it. the switch in the hall has 3 wires coming in. One with 3 wires (wired to the com L1 and L2) one with 2 wires (wired to a com and L1) and one other wire going to the L1. Can any one tell me whats missing or wrong with this please?

Any help would be great.

Sponsored Links
The switch with 2 wires is 1-way for the hall, the switch with 3 wires is 2-way for the landing, for the 3rd switch to operate the outside light you need to have 2 wires if it is a 1-way circuit & 3 wires if it can be controlled by another switch. The most likely case is that it is a 1-way circuit & if the wire going to it is a single core cable then you are probably missing a link from switch 1 live terminal(com) to switch 3 live terminal(com)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back