When is an architrave not an architrave?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not actually a DIY job but...

We are having wooden double glazing fitted. Several of the windows being replaced are original Victorian sashes, so have left large gaps around the windows where the pulleys etc were. The fitters are proposing to cover these gaps (which will be stuffed with Rockwool) with "architraves" which look like skirting boards to me. They are 10cm wide, 4cm of which is flat, the other 6cm the profiled part. The original architraves were the same width or a bit narrower but the profile covered the whole width.

I think this is going to look wierd and am not happy. What do you think?

Sponsored Links
I used to do the old box sash rip-outs that way a few years ago and most people thought it looked OK. TBH I wasn't really thinking of the aesthetic, but it seemed to do the job.

Another option is to use 6mm MDF strips to cover the gap, then put a a small architrave on top of that around the edge, this gives the appearance of the old frames. You could also ask to specify a different profile maybe?

HTH

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back