My boiler has suddenly stopped

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler has stopped working and is a mystery to me, the boiler is a potterton kingfisher mf 50l. The boiler was working fine since i moved into my flat in february but yesterday it stopped heating the water and the central heating. The fan is working perfectly as much as i can tell, the pump is enabled and the system is in demand but the pilot light is not on.

Any ideas

Sponsored Links
There can be many causes of the boiler not firing up but they will almost all need a CORGI engineer to diagnose.

I think there is a viewing window low down on the front. If so can you see it sparking there or even a small pilot light?

If its not sparking then its probably associated with the APS but if it is sparking then it will be something else and might be a failed gas valve.

Fixing boilers is not as simple as the lay person imagines!

Tony

Sponsored Links
the electronic igniter is operating but i don't beleive that there is any gas coming through the gas valve, how can i test that it is faulty or not?

So you can see it sparking but there is no flame being ignited.

I am sorry but that senario is one that should be investigated by a competent CORGI.

He may find the gas valve first stage is failed, the PCB is failed or the pilot is blocked.

A DIYer does not have the necessary skills or test equipment to diagnose the exact problem and particularly the experience to do it safely!

Did you see the news of the gas explosion in Wigan where four people were badly injured and the flats demolished?

Tony

Have had a corgi engineer round and he replaced the air pressure switch which seems to work for a couple of days and then it stopped again. The boiler lights but it goes out as soon as it lights. Any ideas????

It could be a PCB fault !

Or other things!

Tony

With the power off check that all the wires are in position at the plastic connection to the gas valve as have had problems with these in the past and if you are confident with a multimeter and have instructions for boiler check for voltage at gas valve, cant remember if ac or dc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back