Dirty and Clean Water in Heating System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a sideline problem to another thread I have posted:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1069461#1069461

Whilst we have been trying to sort the problem in the other thread we realised that three of of upstairs radiators.

My wife bled the radiators and noticed that the water which came out of two was pretty black and guncky. The third radiator was clean.

Whilst all three radiators are at the same elevation they may well be on a different pipe route. You have to go down half the stairs and then climb back up to get to the room with the third radiator.

Is this a problem which needs attention and if so what attention does it need?

Sponsored Links
if worried put some x400 in for a couple of weeks and then drain down a couple of times (having ran the heating for 30mins in between)..then x100

Sponsored Links
If you use X400 then leave it in for at least FOUR weeks!

If you want to do it quickly use X800 for about a day!

It sounds as if those rads are not being used as circulation would quickly equalise the distribution of dirt.

Tony

If you use X400 then leave it in for at least FOUR weeks!

If you want to do it quickly use X800 for about a day!

It sounds as if those rads are not being used as circulation would quickly equalise the distribution of dirt.

Tony

So if they have been part full of air for a long time (since say last January) that may have had an effect.

I leave the system to run for a new days and then check the water again.

Thanks

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back