Adding Security Light To Existing Wiring

BF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a PIR activated security light in my garden and I want to add another to cover the side of my house.

The easiest way, in my mind, to power the new light is to run a wire from the existing security light to the new one.

Before doing so I wondered if someone could advise whether A) this would work and B) if the garden security light is activated would it automatically power up the new security light and vice versa or would they activate independently?

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Both lights, if they each have their own built in PIRs, will operate independently from each other.

If you were planning on bringing another cable out of the JB on the back on the first floodlight then I wouldn't even bother, the terminal enclosures tend to be very small and only have space for one cable gland.

You could fit a weatherproof junction box + glands to split the power to both lights. However, as it seems likely their will be an exposed cable run to the new light, you need to make sure the lights are RCD protected.

Thanks for your reply.

Any chance you could post some links to the weatherproof junction box and glands that I would need to buy?

Sponsored Links
Thanks - just seen some.

The purpose of the glands? Is it to stop water getting into the junction box?

Presumably I take the wire from the mains supply into the junction box then feed the two security lights from the junction box?

The purpose of the glands? Is it to stop water getting into the junction box?

Presumably I take the wire from the mains supply into the junction box then feed the two security lights from the junction box?

Yes. They tighten to the box with a seal, and then tighten to the cable with a seal.

Yes. Most even come with terminals built in.

Got round to fitting extra security light and the junction box / wiring.

Now await darkness to see if garden and side gate will shine in 150w light or whether my house will ignite in one big explosion!!

Both lights, if they each have their own built in PIRs, will operate independently from each other.
Unless light from one "overspills" into the area covered by the other light, in which case it'll think it's daylight and not operate until the other light has extinguished.

Just returned from the hospital. Roads now back open and Fire Brigade just finishing off.

Only Kidding. They work!!

Now when Im looking for the bins down the side Im no longer going to end up walking into them!!

Of course, as with every DIY project I take on, it didn`t go smoothly.

First off I cut the wire from the first PIR to the junction box too short!

Then after wiring the junction box and just about to put the lid on I realised that I hadn`t put the nut to the gland on the side of the wiring so had to disconnect it all!!

Still, job done and works.

Thanks to those who replied to my original post.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back