Question from UK planning portal. Rafters to wallplate...uh?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK. Question from planninportal.gov.uk.

I'm trying to figure out how to build my eaves. (PIR foam between and under rafters, wall cavity partial fill, unventilated roof, open interior roof space). This guideline (pic from UK planning portal), seems to fit the bill. I'm supposing rafters would be birdmouthed over the wall plate, but in this picture they seem to be floating mysteriously above it?

What's going on? Do I need lighter than air rafters?

3071357615_f6634f9a09_o.jpg

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/masonry_cavity_wall_insulation_illustrations.pdf[/url]

Sponsored Links
There's an error on the detail. You need galvanised or stainless steel sky hooks at 600 centres which are not detailed.

It's a gobmint website, why would you expect perfection on there ;)

You see lots of standard details like that on plans where the drawer could not be bothered to do it properly

But what do you need to know? It's not difficult .... joist sits on wallplate, rafter sits on wallplate and fixed to joist etc

Inherently, the insulation is thinner at this location

Indeed.

Much as I suspected. I only got there whilst working out the best way to connect up the wall and roof insulation. Seemed a good place to start.

Perhaps not.

Rgds.

Sponsored Links
I use the planning portal (unfotrunately) day-in day-out at work. It has its uses and some parts are good and the whole thing is a good idea but i use it for submitting online planning applications and i can only assume this has been designed by someone who can create websites, but has never submitted a planning applicaiton in his/her life - some parts of it are rubbish to say the least!!

These kind of schoolboy errors on drawings are evident throughout the world of online details. Insulation suppliers know about insulation detailing, damp course suppliers know about damp course detailing etc etc. To be fair there is a disclaimer at the bottom of the detail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back