Retaing wall built as pillars

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a couple of retaining walls in my garden about 4ft high. Instead of being built like normal brickwork they seem to have been built in a pillar type fasion. i.e the bricks do not interleave.

Is there any particular reason for this!!

Sponsored Links
Thanks Woody, just gooeld Stack Bond and yes that is how the wall is built. Apparently there should be some form of steel support within the course. Not sure if I have this, as most of the mortar is falling out of the wall it shouldn't be too difficult to check. My only concern is the wall falling down particularly as its a 4ft retaining wall.

Well its only a problem if the wall is currently experiencing a problem.

If it is not, then its OK.

Its a decorative feature to have built it like that. Not as strong as other bonds, but that does not mean that it will fall over

Sponsored Links
As a retaining wall though, Woods? Msybe it's just a facing. Or it might be one of FNT's past jobs ;)

I am assuming the walls are already up and working.

But yes, probably not the best bond to use for new work unless reinforced or backed up with something stronger

walls been up for about 20 years so I suppose it would have fallen down by now if it was going to. The main problem with it is that alot of the pointing mortar has fallen out and the bricks on the top are completely loose.

Point it up and relay the top few. All the force is down the bottom 18" of the wall so nothing to worry about

Hello mate,
not that i have the experience to answer any of your questions i am looking at building a retaining wall myself (approx 4ft high) and would be interested in having a look at a picture if you wouldnt mind, thanks
Richie

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back