Floor tiling onto floorboards, options please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have done a few projects which involve tiling onto floorboard (I am a plumber by trade and often tile as well).

The next project involves a small bathroom (2m x 2m), which need the floor tiling. It currently has floorboards which my spirit level tells me is pretty level and flat.

To get all the new plumbing in its more than likely I will be taking most of the floorboards up anyway.

What should I do?

1. Take up floorboards and marine ply (25mm) , then tile onto ply

2. Tile directly onto floorboards

3. Hardibacker (or similar) 6mm onto floorboards and then tile?

4. Your suggestion

Hopefully I have included enough info. Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Sam

Sponsored Links
Cat - as most of the floor's coming-up anyway use WBP exterior grade ply (no need to use marine). As to thickness of the ply ... well it depends on a couple of things: levels with other flooring (will a step be OK if you use thicker stuff) and the existing joist spans. Some here will suggest 25mm thick for ceramic tiles 'cos there'll be no flex to crack/loosen the tiles, others (including me) say 18mm is thick enough. Whatever thickness you use try to get it down as a single sheet and if you can't manage that make sure any joins are above joist mid-points. Add noggins if you have any joins unsupported directly by joists (unsupported joins may flex thus cracking the tiles). Screw (don't nail) the ply down.

What should I do?
1. Take up floorboards and marine ply (25mm), then tile onto ply
Always my preferred option but use WBP, it’s cheaper & does the job just as well. In many cases & particularly if it’s a small room, 18mm will be sufficient as long as the floor’s well supported, the joists are a decent size & the joist span is not overly wide. Screw fix every 200mm & fully support any joins.
2. Tile directly onto floorboards
No.
3. Hardibacker (or similar) 6mm onto floorboards and then tile?
You could do (but not sure 6mm will be thick enough?); it’s are ideal for wet rooms or to provide insulation under U/floor heating. WBP ply is much cheaper but if you do decide to overboard with this, I would advise 12mm minimum. This tends to raise the door threshold somewhat & many customers aren’t happy with that.
4. Your suggestion
Option 1 but use a decent trade flexible adhesive & grout.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back