Hanging a heavy mirror- 30.5kg onto a plasterboard wall????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently bought a mirror that weighs 30.5kgs. I bought it to go onto a plasterboard wall of my new build apartment and now have doubts on how to actually put it up securely!!

I have managed to find a beam that runs down the middle of the wall but I am afraid that if this is not going to make it secure enough then it will fall down... and the weight of it will not only break the mirror, it will do a good job at ruining my laminate flooring aswell!!

If anyone has any ideas please let me know.... :confused:

Sponsored Links
you'll be surprised how much a plasterboard wall will hold, a mirror doesn't project outwards and therefore has very little 'lever' effect, the force is transmitted downwards. If you can, screw into existing wooden studs, if not try expanding rawl bolts. Ikea mirrors tend to be very heavy, I hung one on a plasterboard wall using self tapping metal rawl plugs. No problem at all.

Matt

Sponsored Links
No problem at all.

....................untill it fell down :LOL:

and there was me thinking people were polite on here!? i'm assuming because a smiley was added that means its ok to be rude? tut tut,

just because somebody doesn't have 20000 posts doesn't mean their advice is invalid, just means they have better things to do than constantly post on forums.

thank you to all those who have helped so far :)

i put the lauging smiley there because i thought the way it is written is amusing

hmm ok 'breezer', was a bit moody yesterday, bad day at work, sorry for snapping :)

Matt

you'll be surprised how much a plasterboard wall will hold, a mirror doesn't project outwards and therefore has very little 'lever' effect, the force is transmitted downwards. If you can, screw into existing wooden studs, if not try expanding rawl bolts. Ikea mirrors tend to be very heavy, I hung one on a plasterboard wall using self tapping metal rawl plugs. No problem at all.

Matt

hi, not too good at using this forum.... im new!! thanks for that, we bought some screws that expland once in the plasterboard for heavy objects, so im hoping that they will work....

Matt

ahh, there you go.... ive jsut realised how to quote!!

There are a few different ways to tell if its a timber framed building. The walls will sound hollow, but will usually sound solid over the frames because of the timber lintels, whereas dry lining will still be hollow there. If you look in the roof space you can tell by the gable walls.
Timber frames will usually have weepholes at DPC level, while masonry usually don't.
If you have got a timber framed house it would be better to fix the mirror to the studwork if possible.

I agree with Ridwood. Use metal plasterboard plugs. Once they're in, they are solid. I've hung many heavy objects using them. If you've never used them before though, you only get one chance, or you'll be left with a gaping hole to fill. And don't over tighten. When they nip tight, leave it.
Anyhow, there's me going on a bit. If you have a timber stud where you want to hang the mirror, use that!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back