Feed to external security light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a security light overlooking the back of the house fed from some t&e into the loft. The supply cable isn't in conduit or SWA(?) and runs down the outside wall so probably isn't compliant.

The light needs to be lowered anyway as it illuminates the neighbours bedroom window :eek: .., so I plan the following.

Lower the light to the same height as the floor of the upstairs bedroom. This bedroom has a sock on this wall. Can I spur off to a fused connection unit from the socket and use this to feed through to the outside into the security light fitting? I don't intend any of the feed wire to be exposed to the elements, it will go straight into the fitting, so would use normal 1.5mm or 2.5mm T&E.

Does this sound ok? Thanks

Sponsored Links
should be ok to come off socket to fused spur and then to light.

I have doen the same and used a switch fused spur.

Just make sure the socket is not already a spur off the ring main

I believe you'd need to make sure that either the ring was RCD protected, or use an RCD protected fused spur to be compliant with the wiring regs since the light fitting is outside.

Also note that since the work is outside, it would be notifiable under Part P (//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p)...

Thanks rebuke,
I didn't realise installing a security light came under the realms of part P. Kind of puts me off a bit now.. I suppose it will stop the window cleaner electrocuting himself :eek: (that would be me)...

Sponsored Links
Indeed - I think it's ridiculous myself, since the people Part P is (presumably) designed to stop are the real bodge-it merchants (e.g. to use your situation as an example the sort of person who would wire the light straight onto the ring main without a fused spur) will completely ignore it and not notify etc.

Those who would actually (probably) do a good job anyway, such as yourself by the sound of it, tend to be the ones conciensous enough to notify correctly, and have to pay the ridiculous fee (my LABC has a minimum charge of £100+vat - this is fine for the huge amount of work I'm doing over Christmas that I've notified them for, but for what probably amounts to a £20 job in your case (light + cabling etc), it's crazy!)

I agree rebuke, but what do you do?

Neighbours next to me chucked up a 3 sets of double security lights last weekend, I bet Christmas they didn't notify. Grumble, Grumble...

I'll be honest, I did as well. Therewas no way Im paying £120 to LABC to check it out.

Thing is ive done it as far a i know to the regs. all rcd protected using switched fused spur off the main ring, with correct cable size and fuse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back