Gable end construction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am building a large double garage and have just fitted the timber roof trussess. I nneed to build up both the gable ends, but not sure were or how to fix the timber(noggins?) for the fascia boards to attach to, or what size timber to purchase and how long they should be.

Any help would be great

Cheers
Ian

Sponsored Links
did the suppliers not suggest a ladder set?

for starters look at existing barge overhang to nearby buildings. if your gable is proportional then use this as a guide. i would say 150mm overhang for barge and as much as 225mm for soffit.

you can use any timber suitable, so long as it does not finish any higher than the trusses, and that it is capable of doing the task in hand. a size similar to the truss chords will be ok.

cut the timbers to such a length as to provide overhang of the brickwork, but allow for an end rafter to be fitted to the noggin ends. the barge board can then be fitted to this end rafter, as will the cloak and the roofing battens.

the detailing at the soffit box-to-barge intersection is a little more tricky.:cool:

p.s. the nog's can be fixed to the truss chord simply by screwing through the truss and into the nog' end. always use 2 screws or more in each end.

space them at about 750mm centres as most of the weight will be transferred to the brickwork.

:idea: don't forget your lateral restraint straps, both for the rafter and the joist chords.

Does it need the expense and maintenance of a bargeboard and fascia?

If not, then just cut the bricks to the pitch and have a mortar verge

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help, I will be using tile effect metal sheets for the roof covering, will i still need to contsruct a facia and soffitt.

Could you please advise on suitable insulation.

Cheers
Ian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back