Boiler cuts out the colder it gets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, I've had this problem for years and never really got anyone to fix it.

First up, the boiler: Industrie Fer Hawk II, combination boiler (instructions are on their web site for download, as that's where I got them). Boiler is some 10 to 15 years old I think. It was there when I bought the house back in 1999.

Basic problem is that when the days get colder, the boiler will more frequently light for a few seconds or a minute and then just cut out. I have to increase the boilerstat to max the colder it gets just to try and get it to come on at all.

Sometimes I can hear a relay or something clicking on and off rapidly as it appears to try and decide whether to turn on.

I'm under a contract with British Gas that despite a number of call outs, has not really resolved it. I'm sure their final solution would be to replace the boiler, but there's nothing actually wrong with the heating side of the boiler, just the bit that's instructing it to light up.

Anyway, so far they've replaced the circuit board, air pressure switch, some sort of thermostat (going by the instructions I've got and what I saw the guy replace, I think it may have been the overheat cut-off thermostat), the heating boilerstat.

On the last visit they suggested getting a room thermostat, as I didn't have one. So I've fitted one, and that works fine when the heating is working. When it's not the thermostat is just correctly calling for heat as the room is too cold. The boiler however never provides enough heat. When it's very cold (like now), the radiators can just be stone cold.

When it's warmer however, the boiler behaves itself and the radiators can get nice and piping hot and the room thermostat kicks in at the right temperature to shut the system down, and back on again when the temperature drops. The problem is always when it is much colder outside.

One thought I have is the Central Heating Flow Temperature Sensor. One of the guys who came out once mumbled something about that but never replaced it.

Curious about this, I took the connection off this sensor and connected it to the hot water sensor instead, and sure enough the boiler fires up and behaves fine (obviously I don't get hot water unless I restore the connections).

Probably a very dodgy "hack", but I get a warm house. Note that once I've got the house warm, I can restore the connections and the boiler will behave itself again for quite a while, until the boiler goes off on the timer and cools down, then it will struggle to fire up again next day.

Opinions? Could it be the CH flow temp sensor, and if so, how easy is it to replace? Any other suggestions for what it could be?

Oh, and could it also be (still) the boilerstat (the knob on the front panel)? This had been replaced before, but it's still got a strange behaviour where just a very gentle touch without turning it can cause the boiler to cut out.

I don't really just want to call BG out for them to tinker and scratch their heads again and not fix anything (and it costs me money to take time off work). Also it's one of those typical things that doesn't go wrong when you call them out (though being cold right now it might do).

I have a picture I've uploaded also showing the sensor connections.

Sponsored Links
You need to measure the CH sensor with the boiler cold.

I think it should be about 13 k, but also measure the DHW sensor and see if they read the same.

Its odd if they fail as yours would, but measuring their resistance is virtually the first diagnostic step and I am very surprised if the BG guys did not do that on every visit but....

Tony

You need to measure the CH sensor with the boiler cold.

I think it should be about 13 k, but also measure the DHW sensor and see if they read the same.
Sounds like a job for BG or someone then unless this is something I can do myself (as simple as using a multimeter?)? I'm no plumber/heating-guy but do like to know how things work.

Its odd if they fail as yours would, but measuring their resistance is virtually the first diagnostic step and I am very surprised if the BG guys did not do that on every visit but....
To be honest, when they do a so called "service", they seem to do little more that just look at the thing. Had a contract with another company before I went with BG and they sent a guy who just looked in the view hole and said it was okay and went away! Hence I cancelled the contract.

Only went with the BG one because the boiler packed up and needed a repair quick (unrelated to this problem).

The instructions for the boiler actually stress the importance of an annual comprehensive "service". Is that supposed to go as far as pulling it apart, cleaning and replacing things? As I don't see BG doing that. The only times they do anything more than a basic inspection is when I call them out over this problem and they poke around a bit more.

I'm under a contract with British Gas that despite a number of call outs, has not really resolved it. I'm sure their final solution would be to replace the boiler, but there's nothing actually wrong with the heating side of the boiler, just the bit that's instructing it to light up.

Anyway, so far they've replaced the circuit board, air pressure switch, some sort of thermostat (going by the instructions I've got and what I saw the guy replace, I think it may have been the overheat cut-off thermostat), the heating boilerstat.

Before replacing any boiler parts it would be very stupid for anyone not to have measured the sensor resistance first, but.....

Its a very simple use of a multimeter to measure the resistance as long as you take the plug off first so that you are not measuring the PCBas well !

Tony

Sponsored Links
Its a very simple use of a multimeter to measure the resistance as long as you take the plug off first so that you are not measuring the PCBas well !
Actually yeah, thinking about it, it should be that simple. I just wondered if there were special tools required.

I'll dig out the meter and wait for the system to go cold.

Okay, assuming I'm using this meter right...

When the boiler is cold

CH sensor = 1k
DHW sensor = 0.97k

Check your contract very carefully, hardly anybody in this country has a contract with bg to service the boiler annually; lots of people have a contract including a SAFETY-CHECK.

As for the sensors. How simple are they to replace?

Looks like the part is a 386818 / 800310 Ferroli thermistor. As I say, I'm no plumber and I'm not keen on messing where water can leak, but I'm okay with electrical things and parts that are simple to replace. However, I'm not sure how these things connect in the pipe. Are they sealed from the water and just a case of unscrew and replace, or is it a drain-down job, or worse?

If it's simple and given the part seems cheap (aprox £10), I'm just wondering if it's worth replacing myself anyway and see if that does the job. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than the cost to me in taking a day off to wait for a BG guy!!

Check your contract very carefully, hardly anybody in this country has a contract with bg to service the boiler annually; lots of people have a contract including a SAFETY-CHECK.
Oh, absolutely. My parents used to have one of the old proper service contracts.

All you can get these days are basically an insurance policy. Quick safety inspection and they'll cover parts and labour (with limitations) should something go wrong. Mine is definitely this kind. Though the word "service" I'm sure is mentioned in the literature.

They're much like the NHS really. Cure rather than prevention. Even car dealer servicing is like this now. Do the minimum and charge low service rates to appeal to fleet markets, and then charge a premium when things go wrong.

The annoying thing is it's a lot of hassle when things go wrong, as break down occurs when it's least convenient, have to take time off work, etc. If a proper service was done then perhaps things wouldn't break down so much.

The two sensors cold measure the correct resistance then.

It still possible that they have changed their response curve and go too low too quickly. If they are much below about 200 ohms then they will probably turn off the burner because the boiler thinks it hot enough.

The next test is to heat up the boiler say on hot water and then immediately measure the CH sensor resistance.

Or you could buy a 470 ohm resistor and use it on test in place of the CH sensor on test.

Or you could get a 1 k potentiometer and a 147 ohm resistor and then you can vary the resistance to simulate any temperature.

Tony

The sensors check against each other in dhw mode, should always be changed together. Swap the connectors over and then see if the problem transfers.
Apart from the sensors the fan and gas valve are very common failure points, are you sure your chattering relay isn't the gas valve solenoid?

The next test is to heat up the boiler say on hot water and then immediately measure the CH sensor resistance.
Cheers. Just tried that out and the CH sensor now reads 1.28k.

The sensors check against each other in dhw mode, should always be changed together. Swap the connectors over and then see if the problem transfers.
Apart from the sensors the fan and gas valve are very common failure points, are you sure your chattering relay isn't the gas valve solenoid?
Swapping them over is what I do to trick it into heating up. If I do that and turn on a tap, the boiler cuts out.

As for the chattering relay, I don't know. It's the same click it makes when it's about to fire up the boiler. When it's working right I think it makes this click, then there's the sound of the spark or whatever to ignite.

It can also chatter when it's actually lit. Sounds like it's trying to do something, then finally it will give up and switches off again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back