door lock router jig

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HAs anyone any experaince of using these, i was looking at the axminster version at 39.99. Any opinions?

Thermo

Sponsored Links
still no opinions then??? (blimey thats a first for this forum!!!!!) :D

i still do it the traditional way spade bits and chisels :D
people swear by them from what i have gathered ideal for 3 or more doors unless the equipment is to hand [eg you dont have to waste time finding it extra carrying ect] but i havent actualy used one :LOL: :LOL: ;)

What wrong with a mallet & chisel or am'I getting old :eek:

Axminster Door Lock Jig don't appears to have a face plate recess cut out, I maybe wrong but can't see it.

I don't own one but my mate who have got this one because it cut the mortice & face plate recess. £30 dearer, depends what you want to do.

Sponsored Links
yes i am normally a chisel type of person too, but ive got a job with eight of them to do, so im not one to stand in the way of progress. Im just after investing in a decent one and wondered if anyone has any experiance of them.

Thermo

If I'm fitting locks in the workshop then I will use the router for the faceplate recess freehand between knife marks and clean up with a chisel, same for hinges. If there are more than about six hinges then I will nock up a jig from scrap MDF, rout out and use one of those sprung forner chisels for the corners.

The lock jigs that I have seen will all be limited by the plunge depth of the router or you have to change bits to an extra long one which would put a lot of strain on the router & collet so I'll stick to a spade bit & chisel.

If you have deep pockets you could always try one of these

http://www.powertooldirect.co.uk/en-gb/dept_223.html

Jason

As much as i like my tools jason, im hanging 8 doors not 800 and my pockets are not that deep!!! Still i wonder if i could persuade the accountant/mrs.....hmmmmmm

Thermo

Only just found this thread! I use the Trend lock jig. It paid for itself after just the second door I reckon. However I do have separate routers all set up for each function rather than changing depths and cutters etc.

What I like is the fact that you can't do a bad job with these jigs. Routing the shallow recess for the faceplate is perfect every time, no matter what the door timber is.

The deep rebate for the lock/latch body is also always prefectly square to the door, no chance of 'break out' or an out-of-square lock, causing stiffness and fouling with the handle spindle.

It is very well made too, it clamps very firmly to the door (essential) without doing any damage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back