2 Gang 2 Way Light Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to you all,

I'm putting in a new light switch, which has 2 coms at the top and 2x 1way and 2x 2way. As you can see from the pic i hav 3 main cables coming out 1 is for the kitchen light the other 1 is for the dining room light and the 3rd is for a fuse switch for the extractor fan.

On the right off the pic is the orginal which has at the top going frm left to right L1=Red L3= Black + Blue with red sleeves on them both L2=2x Red. And on the bottom frm left to right L3 is empty L2= Black with red sleeve on and L1= Yellow with red sleeve on. Please cud any one help me.

Thx in advance. :) View media item 6726

Sponsored Links
Not 100% sure what you are asking but I think you mean what are the equivalent terminals in the new switch compared to the old one, in which case treat com as L1, L2 as 1way & L3 as 2way.

Glad you took the pic before you disconnected anything :D

Okay - the first thing to note is you have two different marking systems which correspond as follows:
L1 Com
L2 L1
L3 L2
As you have probably noticed on the old switch they are set out diagonally so one switch has L1 at the top corresponds to the L2 and L3 at the bottom and vice versa for the other switch.
The red sleeved black and the red on the LHS of the switch will need to go to the Com and L1(1 way) of one of the switches.
The Yellow needs to go to the Com on the other switch, and the other red sleeved black along with blue to L1 (1 way) and the two reds to L2 (2 way).
You also need to ensure the new switch is earthed by taking a new piece of earth wire from the earth point in the backbox to the earth terminal on the switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back