help/advice on building reg reply from council

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
help advice please just recieved a letter back from council regarding my building regulations application wanting these details

1 = details and calculations required for the roof trusses.

2 = details and calculations required for steel beams to kitchen.

3 = the method of supporting the first floor partions must be stated.

4 = details are required of the alterations to the exisiting staircase and entry into the extension

please provide 2 copies of the revised plans as additional information submitted by letter may not be acceptable.

does this mean i have to get my plans re drawn as i have had planning permission for 1 year

any info on this

Sponsored Links
Give it to your architect to sort out (assuming you are employing one), it's what they're paid for. If this has already been approved then the information and calcs should be with the original plans.

Planning permission and building regulations are two different things. You will need different drawings for each. The building regs drawings should show detail of how you are going to comply with the various parts of the regulations. The questions BC have asked are not onerous - but you will need somebody who knows what they are looking at to help you with the replies.

For roof trusses just tell them that the contractor, when one is appointed, will approach a roof truss manufacturer and design/detailing will be forwarded prior to installation.

For steel beam you will need structural calculations from a structural engineer or building surveyor.

Method of supporting first floor partitions is normally to triple the floor joists beneath the partitions - but this depends on the floor design and can be calculated out by an engineer or surveyor.

Stair regulatiuons are standard and well documented. Without knowing exactly what you are proposing to alter it's impossible to comment further.

hi jeds
thanks for info
it says at the bottom of my letter

i would be pleased to recieve the above at your earliest convenience in order that i can consider the application further.If by 25 December 2008 i have not recieved a reply to this letter i will assume that you wish for me to process this application on the information already submitted.

what does this mean?
does it mean i can just provide the information when i get to that point in the build?
many thanks for reply steve

Sponsored Links
It means if they don't get an acceptable response by that date they will reject your application. Don't worry too much of they do. In my experience more applications are rejected these days than approved - it's all to do with meeting targets and ticking boxes. If they reject just send the information when you can and providing the info answers their questions it will then be approved as normal.

It means if they don't get an acceptable response by that date they will reject your application. Don't worry too much of they do. In my experience more applications are rejected these days than approved - it's all to do with meeting targets and ticking boxes. If they reject just send the information when you can and providing the info answers their questions it will then be approved as normal.
To be fair, I'm surprised they didn't just reject it outright, the items mentioned are the bones of an application. Have you just sent in the planning drawings?

Absolute tosh it doesn't mean he will reject the application, what it means is he will process the application approving the rest of the build leaving these things to be resolved to his satisfaction before signing off your extension. You can write to him regardless of what he has said this is a pretty standard clause as some details cannot be shown by, explanation or calculation only, but in your case calculations and explanations will be fine.
Explain that the truss manufacturers will be supplying the relevant calcs when you have ordered the trusses and that a SE will be specifying the relevant beam, assuming it is already shown on the drawing.
If the stud wall is to be structural then your SE can specify the method of support if it isn't then it can either sit on noggins or a doubled/ tripled joist (if running in line with the joists or just across the joists if running at 90 degrees to them.
As has been said about your staircase it is difficult to know what he is after without knowing the layout of the existing building and the extension.

When receiving additional info requests either

Call the person on the letter and clarify things over the phone - if the detail is already on the plans but unclear, or if its standard building practice then just explain it. The BCO may either just agree or ask your permission to write on or amend the plan accordingly.

Do a brief detail or a few lines of text to clarify the points and ask that these are amended to the plans - don't reprint or redraw the plans for minor amendments

Ask for certain items to be "conditioned" - ie the council will approve the plans as is, but on the condition that the requested info is provided - a conditional approval. Your trusses, and steel beams can be conditioned.

In my experience more applications are rejected these days than approved - it's all to do with meeting targets and ticking boxes.

You must deal with poor councils ;)

IME, the BCO's are more keen to pass the plans than reject and will either conditionally approve or ask for the relevant info and approve /condition then as necessary. Rarely do they want to reject plans if they don't have to - ie the plans are so bad.

The targets are actually to get more plans approved within certain timescales, than to reject them, and if this means more contact and assistance, then thats what they do

excellent help from everyone cheers i will ring the person dealing with my application and explain,i was getting worried more headaches but i take it there there to help at the end of the day,thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back